As Seen On TV Slice-o-Matic  » Housewares  »
0.5
  • At first, I thought that the Slice-O-Matic was a solid buy
  • This is a small issue, but I don't like buying a product that has these small issues
  • For $19.99, I don't think it is worth the trouble to get something so poorly made
  • In reality, I don't think I can save a lot of time using the Slice-o-Matic

• by MisterTickle

At first, I thought that the Slice-O-Matic was a solid buy. I watched the demo and saw many other positive reviews on the product. The short one minute video made it really clear that I can cut my slicing time by half or more. If it really does save this much time, then it will be useful.

The purpose of the Slice-O-Matic is to easily cut various vegetables. There is a thickness option. I can select how thick I want the cut to be. I can choose between very thin slices to thick chunks. I can also cut more than one vegetable simultaneously. That is not a problem. I just have to make sure that they are small enough so they can be fed through the slicer. I, like many people, thought that this is pretty useful. It is very

clean and I just have to push down on the lever. It seems straight forward enough.

Overall, the performance is good. I didn’t have any major issues. For the most part, it did cut and slice like it is supposed to. Occasionally, I get some small problems including size problems and sometimes the vegetable doesn’t “feed” through. I just put the stuff I want sliced in this tube, but It doesn’t require me to hold the vegetable down while slicing so there really isn’t any pressure added to force the vegetable down. Occasional problems include the vegetable not getting fed into the cutting blade. I have had this problem with cucumbers. The only solution is to use my free hand and force it down. This is a small issue, but I don’t like buying a product that has these small ...

• issues.

I also don’t like the container/ tray that holds the sliced product. The size and shape is actually really awkward. When I try to pour it into the cooking pan, the sliced vegetables fall out from the side. The sides are not raised so it is very easy for stuff to slip out. I find that the container is a big issue. I really dislike the holder that it is in.

The other issue is mechanics. The moving blade operated by the lever is pretty simple. The movements are then made by several plastic gears. These gears are not very well made. I have experienced that the gears do not always move smoothly. I never experienced gear jamming or anything like that, but I can feel that the teeth of the gears are not aligned like the way they are

supposed to be. As a result, I can feel “tear” and the loud grinding sound. For $19.99, I don’t think it is worth the trouble to get something so poorly made. I rather spend $19.99 on a set of good quality knives and just manually cut my vegetables. Also, it is easier just hand wash knives compared to this Slice-O-Matic. I must take the product and take off the various parts. It actually isn’t that easy to hand wash it because there are many parts to wash. I’m not quite sure if it is dishwasher safe. I don’t use the dishwasher so I guess that doesn’t really concern me. It may reduce my slicing time, but the time gets added when it comes to cleaning it. In reality, I don’t think I can save a lot of time using the Slice-o-Matic.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5331101541940431/k2311a1031/10.31.11