Paul - Unrated (2011) - Movie  » Movies  »
2.0
  • Casting Seth Rogen as the wise-cracking alien wasn't my problem though

• by A Catholic Perspective

Oh, how I wanted to like this movie! It’s got an impressive cast, including Simon Pegg, Kristin Wiig, Jane Lynch, Jeffrey Tambor, Jason Bateman, even a cameo by Steven Spielberg! Casting Seth Rogen as the wise-cracking alien wasn’t my problem though. I felt that this was a case of good acting, subpar writing. I would have understood if this was a movie for kids, but it’s not. I was expecting

a little more sophistication, a different take on the whole alien genre.

Instead, I get a movie that openly bashes religion. My friend was pretty bothered by that. I tried to keep an open mind, but looking back, I feel like my faith was indeed disrespected. I don’t know if it was out of spite or ignorance or the writers wanting to be cool and hip, but it seems like a major theme ...

• of “Paul” was that if alien life exists, God does not exist. I don’t understand that. Maybe God created life on other planets, who knows?

For me, the heart and soul of this comedy was Kristin Wiig. She has a very attractive screen presence. However, I was dismayed that her character Ruth abruptly gives up her Christian faith. She starts cussing like there’s no tomorrow, which is funny at first, but

grew tiresome after awhile. I wish her character had developed a little bit more, maybe reconciling her new knowledge of aliens with her childhood belief in Christianity?

It’s hard to find a good sci-fi comedy. I’m a comic loving fanboy, so I eagerly await these kind of stories. But I also happen to be Catholic. That part of me, as well as the grown-up geek inside, wanted something more out of “Paul.”

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1131101541730431/k2311a1031/10.31.11