13 Assassins (2010) - Movie  » Movies  »
  • There were some scenes in the beginning that felt like I was watching a horror movie

• by A Catholic Perspective

I saw this film with a friend for his birthday. He loves Japanese culture, and I actually met one of the actors, Tsuyoshi Ihara, at a Christmas party at my school. All the girls were crowding around him, he had the presence of a rock star. It was awesome finally seeing him in action. His character suited him well.

“13 Assassins” definitely ranks as one of the best samurai movies of all time, though I would not recommend

it for the squeamish. There were some scenes in the beginning that felt like I was watching a horror movie. The director Takashi Miike is no stranger to shock value. Is it justified? While I’m not sure about the historical accuracy of the events depicted, I can certainly appreciate the symbolism.

Ultimately, this is a film about justice and honor. When the government becomes too corrupt, the samurai must rise up and protect the innocent. The ...

• band of heroes gathered is epic, even the villain is too. Each has a distinct and memorable personality. The story progresses quickly, so you really need to pay attention to details.

I don’t care much for realistic battle scenes or special effects. Hollywood already has too much of that. I want to be taken into a different world through the acting and the story, which this movie does.

From a Catholic perspective, I would argue that this film, though

ultra-violent, presents the concept of “just war.” And the issues are not just black and white. Being a samurai requires a sacrificial, humble attitude, much like that of modern soldiers. They are willing to lay down their lives against the most impossible odds. But if we’re not careful, we can also lose ourselves in war. Are people by their imperfect natures drawn to conflict, drawn to the sword? This movie poses that question very well.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1131101541720431/k2311a1031/10.31.11