Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank  » Books  »
1.5
  • I love post-apocalyptic stories, where people band together and figure out ways to survive
  • The relationship dynamics and rawness of the plots of those books always excite and interest me, so I was happy to delve into Alas, Babylon, a story about the United States after a nuclear apocalypse
  • I found that, although they were still not people I could connect to, each character was depicted well
  • This made the rest of the book a struggle to get through, and when I finished I was very disappointed with the novel

• by S.E. LaPan

I love post-apocalyptic stories, where people band together and figure out ways to survive. The relationship dynamics and rawness of the plots of those books always excite and interest me, so I was happy to delve into Alas, Babylon, a story about the United States after a nuclear apocalypse.

The book starts a little slow. The main characters were just a bit dry for me. However, as the book progresses, the pace quickens.

The characters, who have started to band together, begin to realize that what they face is serious, and the emotional impact of the story line follows suit. I found that, although they were still not people I could connect to, each character was depicted well. The plot flowed along quickly, too, so I didn’t ever have a chance to be bored.

About half way through the book, though, I started to notice a strange ...

• trend in the emotions of the characters. These people are supposed to be surviving something terrible and unimaginable. They should be reacting accordingly, but they don’t. In fact, although the author at times added in tragic or dramatic scenes, they carried little weight. All of the characters are written with almost happy-go-lucky attitudes. Even when something terrible happens, they all seem to kind of look at each other and say,
        “That’s awful,” then pause for 30 seconds, then get back to what they were doing before. They face radiation, illness, starvation, a breakdown of moral codes, and no one seems to mind very much. Aside from having to try a bit harder, life for them is almost the same as before the bombings.

This made the rest of the book a struggle to get through, and when I finished I was very disappointed with the novel.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1724101540630131/k2311a1024/10.24.11