Half Nelson A Movie  » Movies  »
  • However my husband really wanted to watch it so I decided to watch it with him
  • Unfortunately this does not happen immediately and between his feelings of failure as a teacher and his feelings of failure in his personal life he becomes depressed and begins to do drugs
  • I have to say that Ryan Gosling did an absolutely amazing job portraying Dan (the high school teacher)
  • This performance was, to me, the best performance I have seen from him as an actor
  • I would definitely suggest this movie to anyone

• by jonna_daniels

A few nights ago my husband and I settled in to watch Half Nelson. I had never seen it or heard of it before so I figured that it was probably not that good of a movie. However my husband really wanted to watch it so I decided to watch it with him. I have to admit that after viewing it I really did like it. There does not seem to be anything overtly fake in the movie. The actors and actresses really were able to capture the feeling

of this movie in a very real way. The only thing that I can say is that there were a few parts that my husband and I just did not get so we had to rewind them and try to follow along with the movie. That was a little on the irritating side, but it was still a good movie.

Half Nelson is a movie that follows the life of a high school history teacher and basketball coach. He teaches in a low rated very poor school attended mostly by African American students. He sees that the students have absolutely no interest in history so he decides to go against the schools poor curriculum and teach history in a way that would relate to the students. He does this by teaching them the way opposites and the forces of historical interactions shape our world.

He understands that by doing this history becomes more real to the students and they actually begin to see how history can have an effect on their lives and how they can look at ...

• Half Nelson A Movie
      history and learn how to better their lives and move forward. Unfortunately this does not happen immediately and between his feelings of failure as a teacher and his feelings of failure in his personal life he becomes depressed and begins to do drugs. However he is caught by a young girl and they form a special bond allowing both of them to realize and talk out their own emotions.

The characters that are portrayed in this movie are impeccable. I have to say that Ryan Gosling did an absolutely amazing

job portraying Dan (the high school teacher). I did not even recognize that it was him. This performance was, to me, the best performance I have seen from him as an actor. This movie was just fantastic. Admittedly I would have preferred to be able to watch the whole movie through without having to rewind it, but it still ended up being a great movie.

I would definitely suggest this movie to anyone. It is a truly inspirational drama that causes one to really take notice of history and how it affects us.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1114101538420131/k2311a1014/10.14.11