Monster Cable Beats by Dr Dre Solo HD (Product Red)  » Electronics  »
  • Monster Cable should consider including this function with the Beats by Dr Dre Studio headphones, as while the iSonicTalk function is somewhat of a useful feature, there is no volume control with this function, and one can not skip or replay music
  • Another issue I had with these headphones is sound leakage, as I would be listening to music with the volume turned halfway and others would be able to hear my music
  • I believe the Solo HDs are decent headphones, however, they are not for everyone
  • If you are willing to spend that kind of money on these headphones, then I would recommend them

• by Emma

I have been using Monster Cable Beats by Dr Dre Solo HD headphones in Product Red for about two months now. These were a gift given to me by a friend. I have no affiliation with Monster Cable and although these headphones are very popular, my opinion on them is entirely impartial. I represent the average consumer purchasing these headphones; while I am not an audiophile, I have used many different models of headphones, such as the Sennheiser HD201 headphones, and the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7.

Beats by Dr Dre Solo HDs retail for $229USD, ($299 where I live). They are considered to be the “Little Brother” headphones of the original studios. They have smaller ear cups, as the Solo editions are designed to sit on your ear, rather than over your ear. The ear cups contain a soft padding, and a

thick strip of rubber under the headband. This, combined with the lightweight feel of the Solos, gives these headphones a nice element of comfort. They are also very portable as they can be folded up, increasing their volume and allowing them to be stored in smaller space. These headphones come with a soft case for storage.

One very useful feature that comes with these headphones is the ControlTalk cable. It is very handy to be able to pause, skip or replay your music simply by pushing the silver button. Monster Cable should consider including this function with the Beats by Dr Dre Studio headphones, as while the iSonicTalk function is somewhat of a useful feature, there is no volume control with this function, and one can not skip or replay music. Another advantage of the Solo HDs is that ...

• they do not require batteries.

While these headphones do have advantages, there are some negatives that come with them. Firstly, although the Solo HDs are light and therefore comfortable, this is also a negative, as they are prone to breakage; even though they come with a case, putting them in the case in a bag could bring a risk of the headphones snapping. The bass on these headphones can be somewhat overpowering. And while the sound quality has improved since the original Solos, the highs and mids are still not as crisp as they could be. Another issue I had with these headphones is sound leakage, as I would be listening to music with the volume turned halfway and others would be able to hear my music. And while the glossy finish is a nice touch initially, fingerprints do

show up, unlike on the original Solos, which had a matt finish. Lastly, one feature I did like on the Studios was the noise cancellation button, and this feature was not included on the Solos.

I believe the Solo HDs are decent headphones, however, they are not for everyone. If you listen to very bass-heavy music, I would purchase these, however, if you prefer a more even sound and a flat equaliser, I look towards purchasing Sennheiser or Audio-Tecnica headphones. There is also the issue of price: $299 is a lot of money to spend on headphones. If you are willing to spend that kind of money on these headphones, then I would recommend them. If you are not willing to spend over $200 on headphones, there are many different models that give just as good a sound at a cheaper price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1612101537470331/k2311a1012/10.12.11