Jingo novel  » Books  »
  • Really I think it's the characters that make this a great novel to read
  • It's not as tidy of a book, I'd say, as some of Terry Pratchett's other books - I found Going Postal a lot easier to keep everything straight and a bit more fitted
  • This book also leads to other books - I've read Discworld books that come after this, and I like how there are small references to other events, or you can see the growth of The Watch

• by booklover

I have read many Terry Pratchett novels and particularly enjoy his Discworld novels, so I was eager to read Jingo by Terry Pratchett.

Jingo is a novel featuring Samuel Vimes, who is a quite enjoyable character and has been the main character in many Discworld novels: Guards! Guards!; Men at Arms; and Feet of Clay come to mind.

Really I think it’s the characters that make this a great novel to read. While they’re not

really dynamic (each character has one main trait and they don’t really grow out of it), they’re funny. The novel is story driven and each character adds to the story.

This particular story does explore themes such as prejudices and racism, as well as war, but in a way that just makes these things the background. So you think about these issues but they’re not forced upon you (except in a couple of scenes).

The actions ...

• in the story move along very quickly and you are at the end of the book before you even quite realize it. It’s not as tidy of a book, I’d say, as some of Terry Pratchett’s other books - I found Going Postal a lot easier to keep everything straight and a bit more fitted. But despite the fact that it does feel a bit messy, it flows well and feels natural.

There are some

really funny scenes with a donkey and Sgt Colon, as well, and the book seems well planned as to include these without making them seem out of place.

This book also leads to other books - I’ve read Discworld books that come after this, and I like how there are small references to other events, or you can see the growth of The Watch. It’s also really funny how Vimes keeps getting promoted against his will.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1711101537290431/k2311a1011/10.11.11