Iomega Superhero Backup and Charging Dock for iPhone  » Electronics  »
2.0
  • I use multiple sim cards, and though the iphone invariably keeps my contacts consolidated despite switching from one sim card to another, I believe it’s slowing down my phone due to a burgeoning list of contacts
  • I suggest backing up files on your down time
  • Hence, folks, this is not a convenient alternative to iTunes
  • It cost me 40 dollars for a bad back up system, and heck I won’t recommend it

• by jhunie

I use multiple sim cards, and though the iphone invariably keeps my contacts consolidated despite switching from one sim card to another, I believe it’s slowing down my phone due to a burgeoning list of contacts. As someone with an unreliable memory, I also get confused at the redundancies of my contacts, so that I end up sending messages to the wrong, outdated number. That is why it has been a source of vexation for me when, erratically, people change their numbers so often (oh, look who’s talking). Everyone praises the iTunes interface, but honestly it makes my brain bleed. I don’t even care to know how to backup my contacts on iTunes. Synching makes me sick. Now my recourse for that matter is to buy a product specifically invented to backup contacts from my iPhone, the Iomega Superhero dock.

The iOmega Superhero dock, while workable for backing up contacts offline, is really just a thankless addition to my iphone chargers. There is no metaphor to try to extenuate my disappointment of buying

this product apart from the irony, perhaps, that iOmega calls this a superhero, when, in purely functional sense, it’s a mere charging dock. The backup facility is buggy and slow. I cared not to nitpick about the specific speed of the transfer, but it was staggeringly slow. The dock backs up contacts much faster, and for this purpose, it works. But backing up photos, especially for the first time, kept me from using my iphone for nearly one full day! The back up process stretched to so many hours, that I was left with a feeling that iTunes wasn’t so bad an option. Given the time it took me to back up my photos, I retreated to using iTunes instead. Incidentally the superhero dock backs up contacts and photos ONLY – excluding videos. After the first back up session, the dock still takes several minutes to hours when transferring photos (my vanity churns out a lot of photos everyday). I suggest backing up files on your down time.

On the reverse,

• the dock comes with a function to restore backed up files into my phone. This is fundamentally the point of backing up my contacts, to retrieve them if need be, and I have no complaints as regard to organizing my contacts with the help of the dock. I do have a qualm in restoring photos, once again, because the waiting time involved is just as worse as backing up. If there’s anything to take note, it’s that the dock would be better off used at night time while you sleep. And that’s glaringly impractical when downloading photos to my computer makes it seem faster than the speed of light.

Utility docks usually assume a synching function, not this one. Hence, folks, this is not a convenient alternative to iTunes. I planned to incorporate my contacts to outlook (so I can consolidate all the emails for doing PR work in the future), but I realized there’s no way I could do this with the superhero dock. The dock lacks USB connections, which to me

is inexcusable. So it’s hardly classifiable under peripheral devices. All the information is stored in a 4GB SD card. It is a dead end in itself, an island so to speak. And there’s nothing else that this hollow docking device can do to that information (unless you take the trouble to, redundantly, back up the backed up files on the SD card to your computer), leaving me in wonder whether I was buying the free-to-download app which seems to be doing most of the work and not the product itself.

It charges my phone well, and this is probably the only thing it does without snags. It recharges my phone’s battery straight away after docking it on the cradle. Hallelujah! The only means to power up the device is through the given AC wall adapter. It cost me 40 dollars for a bad back up system, and heck I won’t recommend it. I feel sorry for the terrible flak and my money, but this superhero is, as corny as it sounds, an epic fail.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1610101536661231/k2311a1010/10.10.11