Disney’s California Adventure Park Expansion  » Entertainment  »
1313 Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim,California
  • One of the first changes that I found sad was the closing of one of my favorite attractions, Golden Dreams
  • I got to ride it this summer and even though I miss Golden Dreams, I love The Little Mermaid
  • My oldest son just knew he would hate the ride however found that he enjoyed it as well
  • The queue is not that interesting and since we go during the summer months it is very hot
  • Now it is a loud and obnoxious area that we try to avoid

• by Kim Miller

My family and I have gone to the Disney Resort in Anaheim, California every summer since 2003. We love the resort. We also fell in love with Disney’s California Adventure Park. It is a different Disney experience. We loved the fact that the park was based on different parts of the wonderful state of California. In 2007 the executives decided to expand the park. Along with this expansion, changes have come. I am a creature of habit and am not always welcome to change however I find that I do like a lot of the changes.

One of the first changes that I found sad was the closing of one of my favorite attractions, Golden Dreams. I loved Golden Dreams. Whoopie Goldberg told the story about California, as Queen Califia. It was truly enjoyable and very educational. This attraction closed to bring in The Little Mermaid ride. The Little Mermaid opened in spring of 2011. I got to ride it this summer and even though I miss Golden Dreams, I love The Little Mermaid. My oldest son just knew he would hate the ride however found that he

enjoyed it as well. My whole family loved it and rode it several times.

A very positive change has been the addition of Toy Story Mania. It is a Toy Story themed ride through attraction where guests wear 3D glasses. We love to ride Toy Story Mania and try to beat the high score. The only drawback to this ride is the wait time. It does not offer a fast pass and the wait time can be anywhere from an hour to two hours. The queue is not that interesting and since we go during the summer months it is very hot. It closes early for the World of Color so the wait time is rarely less than 45 min. We usually do not get to ride this wonderful attraction very many times during our ten day visit to the resort which is disappointing.

The World of Color is one of the most amazing additions ever. It is a water show that takes place at Paradise Pier. This show is one of my favorite attractions. I could watch it every night. The only drawback to World of Color is the ...

• viewing area. It is standing only which is fine. The area is tiered however many people can stand in each tier so if you don’t get there early enough you will have people taller than you standing in front of you. I do not like to try to look over people to see a show. Some people are rude and put their kids on their shoulders not stopping to think that those behind them might want to see too. You have to wait a long time to see the show too so unless you stand at the rail, your feet get really tired. I think they should have made it where only one layer of people could fit on each tier and each tier had a rail. But other than that the event is spectacular.

Another change has been the removal of the Titanium sun and changing the whole theme of the entrance and central plaza. This year the sun was gone and the area blocked for building so we really could not see the new addition. From what we have heard, it will be nice. I really loved

the sun though and not just that, there was a very neat sitting area right outside Brr Bank Ice Cream Parlor that was gone this year. I missed sitting there and listening to the music. This is a change that is going to take some getting used to.

I am excited for the new Cars Land and the Trolley. It will be interesting to visit the new land and ride the trolley.

The change that I do not like at all and I hope goes away is the addition of Electronica. To me it is just a dance party rave and not what I go to Disneyland Resort to experience. I loved walking down the peaceful streets of Hollywood Backlot. Now it is a loud and obnoxious area that we try to avoid.

I was disappointed that they were changing the park I have grown to love as much as I love Disneyland however as the changes take place I find that I am enjoying most of them as much as I enjoyed the original attractions. Life is about change and we do all learn to adapt, even at Disney Resort.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 595101535620431/k2311a105/10.5.11