Lori Dog Soap
  • I was used to a more popular brand but when I read the label, I decided to buy one
  • The soap variety I bought was formulated as anti-parasitic, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-mange
  • I found out that Lori Dog Soap is best used with warm water because then it produces lots of lather
  • I used the soap for several baths before I noticed the difference
  • I believe it did help control the population on my dogs but it does not provide the ultimate solution

• by jade v

I was looking for an herbal-based soap/shampoo for my dogs when I came across Lori Dog Soap. I was used to a more popular brand but when I read the label, I decided to buy one. Manufacturers of Lori Soap claims their product is 100% herbal and mineral soap, so it’s non-toxic and does not contain the usual ingredients in pet care products that have been known to contain pesticides.

The soap variety I bought was formulated as anti-parasitic, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-mange. One of my dogs was starting to get hot spots and early signs of mange and I wanted to try a product that was harmless to pets but effective against pests.

The good: Lori Dog Soap is indeed, an herbal soap. Its active ingredient is extract made from madre cacao (Gliricidia sepium), a type of legume tree that grows oblong leaves, pink flowers and pods. Parts of the tree itself are used for many folk treatments. Madre cacao extract is known to be a repellent against insects, hence its inclusion in Lori’s dog soap formula. The soap also contains peppermint and citrus oils. To fight mange, it also contains sulfur and borax.

The list of ingredients stops there, so I suppose the rest are made up of soap components.

I found out that Lori Dog Soap is best used with warm water because then it produces lots of lather. This made cleaning the dogs’ coats a breeze because the rich lather made it easy to massage the soap onto their skin.

I used the soap for several baths before I noticed the difference. For the dog that had skin issues, the reddish spots calmed down very slightly after the first use. It wasn’t until the second and third uses when she stopped scratching herself. Four to five uses later, the itchy spots had faded.

As for the dogs that did not have skin problems, the soap worked well. I believe it was the reason why they didn’t get mange as well.

The Lori soap variety I bought was a mottled-brown color but it didn’t stain my hands or the towels.

It’s also quite gentle, even on the hands. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the soap is biodegradable and has not been known to cause allergic reactions and other adverse side effects on dogs. Also, because of its ...

• natural formula, it can even be used on bodies of water such as ponds, rivers and streams without worrying that you might be introducing toxic material to the water source. It’s also safe enough to be used on young puppies and pregnant/nursing dogs.

The bad: The manufacturers weren’t kidding about the herbal part. It was pretty obvious the moment you rub the soap on the coats and the dogs smelled like herbs! The room smelled like someone was concocting a folk herbal relief. The smell is not unpleasant, particularly since there was a hint of the peppermint coming through. However, anyone who is used to dog soaps and shampoos that leave dogs smelling like cologne will find this soap’s scent… well, different. But again, it’s not that bad. It just smelled as if someone brought dried herbs in the house.

The soap is glycerin-based so it melts easily. Cutting the soap in half and soaping your hands before applying on the dogs coat could help extend its use. I found that applying the soap directly on the dogs to get the lather caused it to melt faster.

Also, the soap itself is non-conditioning. It is soap - it

will clean dogs’ coats but it tends to leave them dry and a little rough. Good thing the one I bought came with a free Milk & Herbs Coat Conditioning Soap. It worked as a followup treatment that gave the dogs’ coats a smooth and glossy shine. Granted the free conditioning soap was only 25g but hey, it worked fine.

While Lori Dog Soap is a pest repellent, you will have to work harder to keep the ticks and fleas away. I believe it did help control the population on my dogs but it does not provide the ultimate solution. It’s either you manually remove the pests and bathe the dogs everyday with the soap or you can use a separate anti-tick and flea treatment to supplement it.

Would I recommend it?

Yes. The soap works, considering it has a formula that is gentle enough to be non-toxic. Many pet shops sell it and it also can be found on grocery shelves. It’s affordable enough at PhP110 (less than US$3), although I found out later some online sellers sold it for less than that. It is best paired with the brand’s conditioning soap or some other conditioning treatment to keep coats smooth.

Am says :

Sorry i just need to ask if its ok that i didnt wash the soap from my puppies body? because i base it from the soap instruction at the back of the soap box. Not rinse it for 3days just wipe the excess bubbles.. but my puppy us scratching more often than before. Please reply.

Galega says :

The instruction is about optimum effectiveness. You need to follow that. However, unfortunately, your puppy has irritation or itching emanating out of this soap. In that case, you need to wash it off.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2926091534121030/k2311a0926/9.26.11