Doggie’s Choice Anti-Mange Soap
  • I bought Doggie's Choice Anti-Mange Soap to treat the skin problems of two of my dogs
  • They are from the same litter - brother and sister - and the problem seems to run in their blood since the other dogs had not developed the condition, thankfully
  • I had used the anti-tick & flea variety before and knowing that the brand is trusted by many pet owners, I decided to buy it
  • I like a thick lather because it allows for easy massaging onto the dog's coat and skin, so I just simply use more of the soap by rubbing it directly on the dog's coat
  • This issue is negligible when you're treating the dog for mange, though, so I suggest you just ignore it and wait for the soap to do its job

• by jade v

I bought Doggie’s Choice Anti-Mange Soap to treat the skin problems of two of my dogs. They are from the same litter - brother and sister - and the problem seems to run in their blood since the other dogs had not developed the condition, thankfully. I had used the anti-tick & flea variety before and knowing that the brand is trusted by many pet owners, I decided to buy it. Besides, it’s also a popular brand that can be found at pet supplies stores and vet’s clinics.

The good: Doggie’s Choice Anti-Mange Soap does not produce a lot of lather but that is just the way it’s formulated. I like a thick lather because it allows for easy massaging onto the dog’s coat and skin, so I just simply use more of the soap by rubbing it directly on the dog’s coat. Its low-sud formula also makes it easy to rinse off.

And… it works! My treatment regimen using this soap was to wash the dogs with warm water, lather on the soap, rinse, apply the soap again and leave it on the dogs for 5 to 10 minutes. To keep the dogs from

feeling cold, I kept them in a cage during the bath and brought the cage outside in the sun to help warm them up. I found that bathing them between 9a.m. and 10a.m. works best.

The results began to show after four baths. The first one minimized the scratching and the second helped ease the wounds. Four to five baths later, the dogs no longer scratched the mangy parts and could sleep soundly. After about 2 1/2 weeks of treatment, the patchy bald spots began to recover. In a month, the new hair growth was obvious.

The soap contains triclosan, a common antibacterial and anti-fungal agent (also found in many anti-bacterial soaps for humans); Fernobucarb BPMC, a type of pesticide; oil of Madre de Cacao, a natural insect repellant and sulfur, a substance that’s toxic to mites, the pests that commonly cause mange.

The bad: Sulfur is a component of this soap and while the manufacturers tried to mask the scent in the soap itself, sulfur wins in the end. Once the dog is toweled off and the coat is dry, the nice herbal smell of the soap on the dog is taken over by the ...

• sulfuric odor. It’s pretty strong, particularly during the first few hours after bathing. Any dog that’s been bathed with Doggie’s Choice Anti-Mange Soap will make any room reek of sulfur - guaranteed.

And that’s not all. The smell, while strongest during the first day, lasts and lasts. On one dog I bathed with the soap, the smell lasted for at least 6 days. I would have waited longer to test if the smell will stay for more than a week but I had to bathe her again, so I could never know. My guess is that the smell will still be there. Furthermore, using a nice-smelling shampoo after the soap won’t solve the smelly problem.

Doggie’s Choice Anti-Mange soap is also non-conditioning. Well, it is soap, after all and it doesn’t promise to make your dog’s coat smooth and shiny. The dog’s coat feels rough after. This issue is negligible when you’re treating the dog for mange, though, so I suggest you just ignore it and wait for the soap to do its job. Once the dog is cured, you can then use a conditioning shampoo to get its coat back to form.

Doggie’s Choice Anti-Mange

Soap also contains certain chemicals in its formulation that do not make it safe to use for nursing dogs and young pups. If you have dogs with mange who are pregnant, had just given birth or are very young, you might want to use a gentler, herbal-based formula. The soap is also not recommended for use near or in natural water sources such as ponds, lakes, springs and rivers because it can kill fish and other water creatures. It is some sort of a pesticide after all, so care should be taken when using it. To protect myself, I wear gloves and my prescription glasses to protect my hands and eyes from splashes.

Would I recommend it?

Yes. Just make sure the dog is old enough to be treated with this soap and that you use it as recommended. It’s an affordable and effective solution to mange, works fast particularly in the early stages of the condition and is affordable enough. One 90-gram soap bar costs about PhP80-90 (less than US$3.00) and lasts about a month for one dog that is bathed every other day. There is also a shampoo version, which costs from PhP165 to around PhP300 depending on size.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2926091534051030/k2311a0926/9.26.11