Afrihost ADSL Internet Service  » Internet  »
  • The very next morning I decided I needed another gigabyte because I wanted to download a classic soccer match that was about just over one gigabyte in size, and I got a very nice surprise email from Afrihost
  • My ADSL line is only 384kbps so sometimes the video streaming breaks up a bit, but I love the competitive nature of their pricing
  • The competitiveness goes further than just the pricing though, because I have noticed something rather lovely in comparison of Afrihost with the likes of Telkom ADSL, and that is the fact that Afrihost, unlike Telkom, only deduct data used according to the data downloaded and not according to data uploaded
  • What I really love though is the fact that local and international bandwidth is treated differently and I don't find myself using up international bandwidth by surfing local sites
  • This is often the case with some other service providers I have used, where I'd find myself having about 10 gigabytes of local bandwidth which is relatively useless since there aren't that many interesting sites hosted locally

• by dubej66

Using the ADSL internet service from Afrihost was an extra service for me because I have been using their Web Hosting service for about two years now. The web hosting service is very good and quite affordable, in fact I would go as far as saying it is very cheap, that I was very curious about how competitive their internet service prices would compare. Sure enough, the prospect of paying R29 ($4.14) per gigabyte of bandwidth is something to make a lot of noise about in South Africa, because of the high costs of data.

There was one stumbling block for me however and that was the fact that they don’t accept direct deposits, debit cards or cash payments for this service so I had to wait about three weeks to get a credit card I had applied for to arrive.

The service

When I finally did get my credit card, I went ahead and opened up an account with them, which was relatively easy and it became fully activated about two hours on, when I’d sent

in my required identification document. I simply took a picture of my green, bar-coded id book and sent it in as an email attachment and after entering my credit card details I simply had to change some of the settings on my router.

My line rental is from Telkom so I don’t need to have a new ADSL line installed, which is great because that means I can take advantage of great prices like R29 for an entire gigabyte of data, for which some other service providers charge up to R79 ($10).

After changing the settings as indicated, I didn’t even have to restart my router, I only had to reset it and I was good to go.

The very next morning I decided I needed another gigabyte because I wanted to download a classic soccer match that was about just over one gigabyte in size, and I got a very nice surprise email from Afrihost.

“Just because we like you” it read, “we have decided to give you one extra gigabyte of data per month for ...

• each gigabyte you pay for”, so I was getting (and still am) two gigabytes for the price of one every month.

I now usually buy one extra gig which brings the total purchases up to two per month, for which I get another two free and thus always have plenty of data (four gigabytes) to do all the internet tasks I need to do, including video streaming, downloading and video chatting. My ADSL line is only 384kbps so sometimes the video streaming breaks up a bit, but I love the competitive nature of their pricing.

The competitiveness goes further than just the pricing though, because I have noticed something rather lovely in comparison of Afrihost with the likes of Telkom ADSL, and that is the fact that Afrihost, unlike Telkom, only deduct data used according to the data downloaded and not according to data uploaded. This make sure the data lasts much longer and I don’t lose out for anything I send.

The MasterCard credit card I have added, which Afrihost have on file is actually a

prepaid MasterCard, so on one occasion when they billed me there weren’t enough funds and my connection was cut off since they work on a prepaid basis.

When I requested for them to bill me again (automatically by logging into the client zone) I was reconnected about five minutes later and there was no reconnection fee, which is great in that nobody loses out.

I’m rather happy with the monthly service I get from Afrihost ADSL and I reckon I’ll be with them for a very long time to come.

What I really love though is the fact that local and international bandwidth is treated differently and I don’t find myself using up international bandwidth by surfing local sites. This is often the case with some other service providers I have used, where I’d find myself having about 10 gigabytes of local bandwidth which is relatively useless since there aren’t that many interesting sites hosted locally.

Afrihost seem as if they looked at things from a consumer point of view, and have certainly found themselves a long term customer in me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2123091533770330/k2311a0923/9.23.11