Johnson’s Baby Soft and Shiny Shampoo  » Cosmetics  »
  • After having used abrasive antidandruff shampoos and high-end ones that were toxic for my scalp, I found my detox in the Johnson’s baby shampoo
  • I think, in perspective, the shampoo is a compromise between harsh scalp shampoos and moisturizing formulas that only induce occurrence of dandruff
  • Costing no more than a dollar, I recommend this shampoo to adults (not just babies) with sensitive skins and people seeking a milder shampoo for thinning hair or, perhaps, hair loss

• by jhunie

I was concerned that my hair, specifically my hairline, was thinning due to overuse of harsh sulfate-laden shampoos. It seemed my prominent forehead was getting wider, with sparse areas that strayed off the normal hairline as if receding. My backne and breakouts on the neck, where most of the water inevitably flows each time I rinse my hair, were strong signs of skin reactions from shampoos. So the skin irritant which I needed to banish from my bathroom was…regular shampoo. Today I’m using the Johnson’s baby soft and shiny shampoo. This one, however, stays in my bathroom.

My scalp badly needed a detox. After having used abrasive antidandruff shampoos and high-end ones that were toxic for my scalp, I found my detox in the Johnson’s baby shampoo. I’ve abstained myself from using harsh shampoos, and this mild formula seems to treat my skin and hair like a baby, indeed, because I get none of the bumps on my neck and back. Those bumps occur on my head as well, but they’ve ceased to come

out since switching to this baby shampoo. Such tells me my sensitive skin, scalp included, likes the product. In addition, I see less hair fall whenever I dry my hair in the morning, while detangling it with a comb nearly tallies to zero fall-out sometimes.

The shampoo has none but one significant snag: I’m annoyed by the deficient lather. At first wash, too often it hardly lathers at all (or perhaps my scalp is just too oily at this point). I want foaming, sudsy lather. In the second time to the last wash, the shampoo soaps up better. It may foam up a little when doused with more water, although that washes out the shampoo. But then it entails pouring the shampoo several times to make it lather. This exhausts me, really. Within a week of washing my hair with the shampoo, the amount left plunged down to over half of the bottle.

Undeterred by the thin, unproductive lather, I still get squeaky clean hair and scalp for a day and the next, so ...

• as to skip washing my hair incessantly every day. The shampoo comes out as honey-colored liquid which I liken to dishwashing soap. More complicated than you think, I have a systematic way of washing my scalp. I divide it into separate sections, starting from the back of my hairy head; going up to the front, where my receding hairline is; and ending down to the nape. I have so much hair that washing it all at once wouldn’t work as much. I massage the lather for a short 10 seconds (rationale: to eschew irritating the scalp). I proceed to washing one section at a time and, therefore, end up rinsing my hair 3 times thereafter. If I were to quantify the subsequent amounts I pour out of the bottle, I probably use a handful of shampoo per shower. Had I chosen a regular shampoo, instead of a milder formula, that copious amount would have been unhealthy. But the shampoo is gentle for my scalp that way even when used abundantly.

My hair,

aside from my scalp and skin, responds well with the shampoo, but I reject the ‘soft and shiny’ part. It would be ambitious claim to state that the shampoo changes my hair to luxuriously soft, though my conditioner makes up for the lack. Looking marginally dull after shampooing with Johnson’s, my hair’s shine has to come from styling products. Dry tresses set in sooner than my Loreal shampoo. I think, in perspective, the shampoo is a compromise between harsh scalp shampoos and moisturizing formulas that only induce occurrence of dandruff. That said, it is neither drying nor exceptionally moisturizing, which in other words translates to “so-so.” While using baby shampoo may cut down my hair’s accustomed pleasures of indulging in rich shampoos, I’d gladly welcome it so long as it stays mild on my skin, without breaking me out and giving me a lot of hair fall. Costing no more than a dollar, I recommend this shampoo to adults (not just babies) with sensitive skins and people seeking a milder shampoo for thinning hair or, perhaps, hair loss.

Johnson's Baby Soft and Shiny Shampoo

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3120091532940230/k2311a0920/9.20.11