“Army of Darkness” iPhone Application  » Games  »
  • You could definitely see the work and effort into creating this game- the quality was sleek, and the graphics were clean
  • Another thing I like is that this game utilizes wit and decision making
  • In my opinion, they should have made it so that you earn more money from stronger monsters

• by topdoghawaii

Army of Darkness is an iPhone game that is based on a movie. It involves controlling a character to take out skeletons, trolls, and other unsightly monsters. As each wave of monsters passes, you have the ability to increase your skills and attack levels with the money you earned from killing monsters. Each wave steadily gets more and more difficult as you become stronger and stronger.

Seeing this game on the app store made me really excited because I was a big fan of the movie when it came out. Upon first playing it, it sure wasn’t a let-down. You could definitely see the work and effort into creating this game- the quality was sleek, and the graphics were clean. I actually played this game for a week without getting tired of

it. It features almost everything from the movie, and the upgrades are very straightforward. I really like how you can call in soldiers to fight for you to aid you in your battle against monsters. The game is very fair and easy to pickup for beginners, yet challenging enough for experienced players. Another thing I like is that this game utilizes wit and decision making. It’s the question of “should I risk dying to get that gold” or “should I play it safe and retreat”. Getting too cocky will eventually lead to failure, and being too passive will also lead to failure.

The only qualm I have about this game is that it gets to the point where it is ridiculously hard to progress. I like that you can restart a ...

• wave if you lose (so that you do not have to go back to square 1) but the game reaches a point where it takes 5-10 tries to earn enough gold to upgrade and beat the level. I hit wave 64 and from waves 60-64, it took a few days of effort. In my opinion, they should have made it so that you earn more money from stronger monsters. That way, it would be much easier to keep up with the increase in monsters. I understand that they couldn’t make the game that easy, but the sense that you know you’re going to lose and just playing to get as much gold as possible before dying is kind of irritating to me. I lose motivation in playing- there isn’t much hope
        that I’m going to win the wave, and it only gets worse as you progress. Also, because the upgrades are out of 10, you know that no matter how far you get, you will eventually be overrun because there is a limit to the amount of upgrades you can get. However, a dedicated player could definitely advance far if they are willing to get every single upgrade.

Overall, this is a really good game, I just think they should tweak the gold-giving system to make it easier and more fair as you get further into the game. That way, I won’t have to restart everything just to be able to have fun playing it again. A truly enjoyable game. If you enjoy castle-defense type games, this is definitely one of the apps you should buy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2820091532770230/k2311a0920/9.20.11