Dstv Mobile Drifta Service
  • I bought the Drifta USB stick for R399 ($57) and tried it out on both my laptop and desktop, which both run on Windows XP Professional
  • As it turns out, there was an update for the Drifta software when I tried to trouble shoot the problem by going to their website, and when I upgraded it worked just fine, not giving me the failed to get signal error message I was getting before
  • Otherwise, I think it's a great selection that allows for the variety factor to kick in when I feel the need to tap into it, as I sometimes like to catch some reality shows on E
  • Sometimes I like to get really creative and share my TV viewing exploits with my housemates by simply broadcasting the signal to them via Wi-Fi, so they can watch what I'm watching in their own rooms, on their own PCs, but unfortunately for them they have to put up with all the sports I watch since they have to watch what I'm watching
  • Unlike with the regular Dstv decoder at home, which obviously gets the pictures via satellite transmission, I haven't really experienced any picture breaks due to bad weather (and we had a really heavy rainstorm just the other night) so the experience is much more pleasurable

• by Scripted

Every once in a while it becomes really great when an idea of something I dream up comes to life and it was no different in the case of the Dstv Mobile Drifta, which is a USB Dstv decoder.

I stay in a commune, near campus and one of the things I miss the most about being at home is being able to watch over ninety channels that come with our Dstv Premium subscription. More specifically, really miss all the sports and since I only have a desktop computer and a laptop, and not a proper television set, the introduction of the Dstv Drifta was simply the answer to all my prayers.

I bought the Drifta USB stick for R399 ($57) and tried it out on both my laptop and desktop, which both run on Windows XP Professional. Fortunately, Windows XP is supported but for some or other reason, it worked perfectly well when I plugged the device into the laptop but gave me a bit of trouble with the desktop. As it turns out, there was an update for the Drifta software when I tried to trouble shoot the problem by going to their website, and when I upgraded it worked

just fine, not giving me the “failed to get signal” error message I was getting before. All the well because my desktop is the system which is hooked up to my big screen as well as my data projector, so I get to see the sports in really big pictures.

Subscription supposedly costs R39 ($5.57) per month, but I simply plugged the device into my system, waited for the software to finish installing and entered my father’s details into the subscriber details form and I was connected to the 15 channels on offer. As it turns out, since my father is a Dstv Premium subscriber, the Drifta comes at no monthly subscription fee, so I really scored big time as far as that goes. Just to learn more about this special, I contacted the MultiChoice offices and they said it is indeed free until March 2012, so as far as my sport-starvation goes, that problem is now out of the way.

The channels

While I really only wanted the sports, I was rather pleased to learn that this subscription plan comes with five sports channels, SuperSport 1 to SuperSport 4 as well as SuperSport Blitz (which is basically the sports round-up channel). Just ...

• in time for the Rugby World Cup as well but I get to watch soccer on Supersport 3, Supersport 4 and on weekends Supersport 5 also shows some soccer games, especially when there is a full roster of matches around the world, and at times SuperSport Blitz shows a local game as an alternative to the one I’m watching on SuperSport 4, so there is a whole lot of choice when it comes to sports and that is mainly what I wanted the Drifta for. Even if I wasn’t going to get the subscription free as a complementary service to my dad’s Dstv Premium subscription, I would be more than happy to pay the monthly fee of R39.

The bouquet selection surprises me quite a bit as it isn’t at all far from all the channels I would have selected myself if we did have a choice. MNet Series, E!, Cartoon Network, Channel O, Trace Urban, Sony Max, ENews, CNN, Idols and Africa Magic complete the list in addition to the five SuperSport channels, and I would have probably replaced one of the two music channels (Channel O or Trace Urban) with documentary channel like National Geographic and Africa Magic with

something else. Otherwise, I think it’s a great selection that allows for the variety factor to kick in when I feel the need to tap into it, as I sometimes like to catch some reality shows on E!, like Ice Loves Coco and Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

Sometimes I like to get really creative and share my TV viewing exploits with my housemates by simply broadcasting the signal to them via Wi-Fi, so they can watch what I’m watching in their own rooms, on their own PCs, but unfortunately for them they have to put up with all the sports I watch since they have to watch what I’m watching.

Unlike with the regular Dstv decoder at home, which obviously gets the pictures via satellite transmission, I haven’t really experienced any picture breaks due to bad weather (and we had a really heavy rainstorm just the other night) so the experience is much more pleasurable.

I’m always extra careful not to drop or bump the Drifta USB stick decoder though whenever I have to move it around for whatever reason, simply because it looks so fragile and I wouldn’t want to have to go through the trouble of getting it fixed or replaced.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2320091532690230/k2311a0920/9.20.11