Philips Gogear Muse 8gb  » Electronics  »
1.5
  • I think the biggest problem overall though is that it's not very stable
  • I do not recommend you purchase this Mp3 player

• by Makeda

Philips Gogear Muse 8gb Mp3 player

I normally trust Samsung over Philips when it comes to Mp3 players, but I was willing to give the Gogear Muse a try because of a $100 off deal by Amazon.com and Audible.com for new Audible subscribers. Now I really wish I had stuck to Samsung because its too late to send it back and its nothing but headache.

For one, as far as Mp3 players go, the Muse is heavy and pretty bulky. The screen is nice and big but the device just feels too cumbersome. Secondly, is the responsiveness of the touch screen. Half of the time the screen will not respond to your touch

and unlike the Samsung YPP3 which gives an appreciative responding buzz when it’s touched, the Muse does not. I have often found myself tapping a particular key multiple times when it didn’t respond and then suddenly ending up a number of screens from where I intended to go.

You just wasted time trying to simply switch a song.

The headache of the touchscreen also brings me to another feature that really gets on my nerves; The hold function. Most players have a slider that you switch to lock or unlock the screen. Although you simply hit the power button to lock the screen on the Muse, to unlock it, you have to ...

• grab this little lock icon at the top of a slider bar on the screen and slide it to the bottom of the screen before it will unlock, since the screen is so unresponsive, it normally takes a number of attempts to do this.

Its pretty light on features as well. The Samsung YPP3 is of comparable price and it adds games, memo pad, bluetooth, calendar, calculator, Flash applications, and a subway map in addition to the standard set that the Muse offers: Music, Video, Text, Audio Book, Radio, and recording.

I think the biggest problem overall though is that it’s not very stable. My second one has died now and

this is in the span of 6 months. Two players in half a year for regular use. The first time it died was from a harmless static shock when I touched a charged surface and the charge apparently ran through my earbuds. The earbuds I might add are fine but the player immediately died. Customer service replaced it free of charge soon enough but now about three months later this next one is dead again for no apparent reason. I lost a number of songs and files this time. I am really disappointed in Philips.

Next time I’ll get a YPP3 like my brother.

I do not recommend you purchase this Mp3 player.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1620091532680230/k2311a0920/9.20.11