The Real Ghostbusters: Season 1, Episode 13: X-Mas Marks the Spot  » TV  »
  • I get that he saw the spirits as an attack and wanted to retaliate, but I don't think he'd have that kind of influence
  • Very enjoyable episode, and I highly recommend it, this was some great stuff

• by David Finniss

By all accounts, this episode really shouldn’t have worked. I mean, come on, a “Christmas Carol” tie-in? With Peter being the token grump of the group who can’t get into the spirit? It so easily could’ve bombed, but instead, it turns out to be a highly enjoyable episode.

The premise is rather clever in its simplicity. The Ghostbusters unknowingly travel back in time. They come across the house of Ebenezer Scrooge just as the spirit of Jacob Marley leaves. They bust in and…bust the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future. When they return to the present, they find that the world has changed and that Christmas seems to be a taboo. They soon realize what they’ve done and

set about to right it.

The three ghosts were surprisingly reasonable. When the Ghostbusters come in and start blasting, they do make an effort to explain the situation, but they aren’t given enough time. When Egon goes into the containment unit later on in the episode, they come with him without a second thought.

Speaking of the containment unit, this sequence gave us plenty of shout outs. I swear that the bit where we see Egon flying in is a nod to 2001: A Space Odyssey. We also get to see several past ghosts make cameos as Egon tries to retrieve the three ghosts. We see the Sandman in one frame, Samhain is featured prominently as is the dapper poltergeist ...

• who tried to feed off the other ghosts. It was a nice continuity nod.

One of the major highlights of the episode was seeing the three boys try to re-enact Scrooge’s fateful night by posing as the three ghosts. Winston does well enough. Peter and Ray…not so much. Seeing the latter attempt to communicate to Scrooge via charades was freaking hilarious. Has charades really been around that long? I have no idea, who cares? It was funny.

I’m not sure how Scrooge was able to single-handedly destroy Christmas. I get that he saw the spirits as an attack and wanted to retaliate, but I don’t think he’d have that kind of influence. It’s not a deal breaker, but it did push

my suspension of disbelief a little bit.

Also, Ray’s explanation of the situation was a bit ridiculous. The way Welker read “we went back in time” was really over the top, this isn’t helped by Ray’s facial expession or the fact that there’s a close up of his face as he says it. It made me snicker to be honest.

Nitpicks aside, this episode was a blast. It could’ve been corny and overly heartfelt, but it worked. Heck, even Peter’s story arc was rather well done, even if it was a bit by the numbers. It was hilarious, clever, and you can’t fault Straczynski for wanting to incorporate some Dickens into an episode. Very enjoyable episode, and I highly recommend it, this was some great stuff.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1016091532221130/k2311a0916/9.16.11