iRiver 512mb Jukebox MP3 Player
  • I've always enjoyed the slick interface of Apple's delight, coupled with the incredible sound
  • Not wanting to make another major purchase, I decided to try a new brand of MP3 player and the results surprised me

• by JTech
      I’ve been an avid iPOD user since Apple released its popular product, and I’ve been the proud owner of several generations of iPODs. I’ve always enjoyed the slick interface of Apple’s delight, coupled with the incredible sound. Hence the reason I was so heartbroken when my favored MP3 Player went to Apple Heaven a few months ago.

Not wanting to make another major purchase, I decided to try a new brand of MP3 player and the results surprised me!

After doing some basic consumer research, I decided to go with iRiver, a company that’s held a strong lead in sales in past years, even against the famed iPOD. I chose an MP3 player that wouldn’t require too

much of a strain on my budget and came home with a new (red) 512MB MP3 Jukebox with Color DSP that runs about $150.

At first glance, an iRiver is nothing like something designed by Apple and while this threw me for a time, I grew to love the individual styling and sporty look of the iRiver. This unit fits nicely in the palm of my hand is far easier to hang on to or strap on my body while exercising than my previous product ever was.

The iRiver also has an AM/FM tuner, which I always thought was lacking in other products, but comes standard with iRiver products. The iRiver produces a very rich, equally balanced sound and ...

• boasts a 45-hour battery life! With a built-in voice recorder, I’ve found myself using this MP3 player more than I ever used previous players!

The only negative to this player is the fact that it is incapable of playing .

wav files. Sure, you can convert .

wav files on a PC and transfer those converted bits over to the iRiver, but it seems too much work for something that should come standard! On the plus side, the iRiver can play . wma files with ease, a feature that’s missing from other high end MP3 players.

The iRiver supports WMA and OGG files with ease. Music is transferred from PC to iRiver via USB 2.

0. , similar to most other MP3

players on the market.

I had no trouble downloading songs from various sites or transferring them to the iRiver. Sound quality (again) is excellent, no matter what the format!

The biggest plus to this purchase is that the iRiver requires only 1 AA battery, which is easily replaceable by the user at any given time, a huge savings over many other company’s policies on batteries.

For that reason alone, the iRiver is well worth the investment!

My only real complaint is that the memory of the iRiver is not upgradeable. 512megabytes is sufficient memory, until you begin filling up the unit with song after song.

At that point, the iRiver slows down a little, but not enough for me to have second-thoughts.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2005. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16121115320330/k2311a1112/11.12.05