Kempton Park Municipal Public Library
Corner C R Swart and Pretoria Road, Kempton Park, 1619, Gauteng Province, South Africa
  • As my curiosity grew and my need for some referencing material and other information, I decided to pay the actual library a visit and it was somewhat of an intimidating experience
  • The Civic Theater, which is essentially the name of the building complex of which the library is a part, is very big and beautiful with a distinctive statue of Nelson Mandela smiling broadly and holding up a little girl and I like to sit there sometimes and impersonate his distinctive voice, especially during a study break
  • The problem however, came with the fact that when the school kids come out and all flock to the library, there often aren't enough lockers and I found myself not wanting to take the risk of having my bag stolen, as in the event of lockers being full, we simply give our bags to the guard to put anywhere out of site, and when we come out again we describe our bags to him
  • I thought that was simply a recipe for disaster so I never go there when it is full
  • I found this a bit strange but had to comply nonetheless and I guess the system has its advantages but I would be better equipped to point out the disadvantages

• by Scripted

I am situated nearer to the public library in Pretoria but prefer the Kempton Park one over any other one, simply because it’s a great source of information, a nice place to study and even a great place to relax, weather anyone would believe that or not.

I first discovered this library through some school friends of mine, when they suggested we go there one afternoon to do discuss some group work and solve some Higher Grade Science problems together. We had to sit outside though, around some elevated brick carving (which I could call an outdoor table) because we were not to make a single sound inside the study area of the library, but we were content with that.

As my curiosity grew and my need for some referencing material and other information, I decided to pay the actual library a visit and it was somewhat of an intimidating experience. The Civic Theater, which is essentially the name of the building complex of which the library is a part, is very big and beautiful with a distinctive statue of Nelson Mandela smiling broadly and holding up a little girl and I like to sit there sometimes and impersonate his distinctive voice, especially during a study break.

The way in which the library is operated and managed is very

strict, which is why I’d describe it as intimidating as when I first walked in the security guard at the door, simply sat behind his booth and asked me why on earth I’m going inside with my backpack. I soon learned that we had to leave our bags with him and only take out books inside, which makes sense I guess since the bags are put in numbered lockers and we get given corresponding number tags to exchange back when we leave. The problem however, came with the fact that when the school kids come out and all flock to the library, there often aren’t enough lockers and I found myself not wanting to take the risk of having my bag stolen, as in the event of lockers being full, we simply give our bags to the guard to put anywhere out of site, and when we come out again we describe our bags to him. I thought that was simply a recipe for disaster so I never go there when it is full.

The intimidation didn’t end there - when I go to any public library, I’m used to going to the shelves to take any book I want to use for a given time, and book it out whenever I need more than a few ...

• hours with it, but when I went up to the shelves I got scolded by one of the librarians. She told me to get away and explained to me like a teacher to a problem child, that here you ask the librarian to get you some books based on the topic you want to research. I found this a bit strange but had to comply nonetheless and I guess the system has its advantages but I would be better equipped to point out the disadvantages.

There is an extensive collection of quality books though, so I usually do get the information I need when visiting the Kempton Park public library, even when the librarians choose the books for me.

They also have quite an extensive of study guides and I particularly remember how one “Science Study and Master” was one of the most popular of the study guides, so whenever I was lucky enough to find that it wasn’t booked out, I had about two hours to use it, after which I had to bring it back and a fine was levied if it was even a second late.

The study area is great too and when I have some work to do on my laptop, I am sure to try and get there early so that I can

get a booth that has a plug and use some electricity for free.

When I want some inspiration though, I sit towards the huge window that overlooks the very beautiful garden of green plants, mainly ferns, complemented by the artificial fountain that leads into a water way, with smooth rocks lining the shallow floor. A glance up from my books every now and then gives me the drive to keep going with my work.

I’ve never used the computer because I was a bit scared to get another scolding and lecture of how things are done here, but I did once see how the coin-operated photocopier is used so that I wasn’t scared to use whenever the need arose.

It’s nice to be able to ask the librarians for change though when I have solidly denominated coins as the photocopier only takes small coins, but I constantly have that feeling that someone is looking over my shoulder and waiting for me to make a mistake so that they can shout at me. I guess that’s a good thing though because school kids simply love to take chances and I was no different, so an air of discipline had to dominate the air, otherwise this lovely library would turn into a circus.

It is a municipal library so the services are free, generally.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2515091531930830/k2311a0915/9.15.11