Golden Gate Ferry  » Cruises/Ferries  »
  • By far the best choice for fun is the ferry
  • There really is no better way to experience San Francisco than by boat
  • They do a very nice job of getting everyone on and although some of the bikers seem irritated they cannot get on first, I think the ferry system has done a nice job of keeping everyone happy
  • It does leave you at the ferry terminal in San Francisco which is a walk to a lot of destinations, I recommend looking up how far in miles it is to the activity you are planning to go to

• by mamajess

I cannot remember the first time I took this ferry. When I was a child each of my parents lived on a different side of the Golden Gate Bridge, my mom in Marin and my father in San Francisco. Your two main options to get to either is to go across the bridge or to take the ferry. By far the best choice for fun is the ferry. My whole life when guests would come into town we would always take them on the ferry. There really is no better way to experience San Francisco than by boat. There are lots of fancy boat tours you can take and I have taken them all, most are really wonderful, but they are expensive. This is the best cheapest way to see the city like a local.

To take the ferry I usually choose to leave from Larkspur Landing. There is

a decent sized parking lot there, and guests usually enjoy the sight of San Quentin which is just up the road. The exit from the freeway is clearly marked and it is very easy to find the terminal. You really do need to arrive early as the boats run on a tight schedule. If you show up close to your departure time you may not get on. I have been denied entrance several times on each end because the boat was full or I was running late. Trust me if you are running to get on they will not stop for you, they leave the second the time is up whether or not you are running for it.

The fare as a pedestrian is $5. I do not choose to take my bicycle along, although many people do. The ferry does take bikes on, but thankfully lets those without on ...

• first. The bikes do tend to push people around and get in the way. I am glad they can take their bikes on as many are commuting, but it would be easier if they had biking and non biking boats. They do a very nice job of getting everyone on and although some of the bikers seem irritated they cannot get on first, I think the ferry system has done a nice job of keeping everyone happy.

The ferry has a refreshment center that serves snacks and drinks. It is overpriced but the novelty of having a beer while watching San Francisco harbor come into view is worth it.

The seats are usually very clean, and so are the bathrooms. They do a very nice job of walking the ship during the trip to make sure no one is getting out of line and to make sure everything is clean.

I do

recommend this ferry to everyone. It is a lot of fun, it is safe for the whole family, it is economical. It does leave you at the ferry terminal in San Francisco which is a walk to a lot of destinations, I recommend looking up how far in miles it is to the activity you are planning to go to. We once thought based on the number of piers between the ferry terminal and Pier 39 that it would be a short walk but it was not at all. The ferry Terminal in San Francisco is a neat historical building. In the last ten years they really have been working on making it safe and keeping people who are not using the ferry out, with that in mind I do not recommend tourists leaving or arriving from San Francisco at night, arriving in Larkspur or Sausalito after dark is usually fine and safe.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 414091531660430/k2311a0914/9.14.11