Microsoft Office 2010 Power Plus Media Processing Software  » Software  »
  • Since Windows 7 actually came with the Microsoft Office package of media processing software, I was a bit disappointed to find that the 2010 offering had much of the same features and looked almost the same as the previous version, 2008, and attributed this to the mere fact that it is built in and not much improvements could be done so it was something I'd probably have to live with
  • The layout and design is definitely eye-catching and keeps me interested in my work so I think they did good on that front and the transparent, quality feel to the window edges gives a whole new meaning to enjoying one's work
  • I thought is was a great thing that I could download the 2010 Power Plus pack from Microsoft for free, since I had already paid for the Operating System with which the standard version of Office 2010 came, so as not to have to spend more money
  • Simply saving all documents to be compatible with Office 97-2003 solves the problem though, so that's all good

• by Scripted

Since Windows 7 actually came with the Microsoft Office package of media processing software, I was a bit disappointed to find that the 2010 offering had much of the same features and looked almost the same as the previous version, 2008, and attributed this to the mere fact that it is built in and not much improvements could be done so it was something I’d probably have to live with.

Upon doing some research and asking around though, I acquired the information that a Power Plus version of Microsoft Office 2010 was available, which is an enhancement of the standard version which I was apparently using, so I proceeded to get it after noticing some differences between my version and the Power Plus, which had additional tools like OneNote, SharePoint and Lync.

I never really got accustomed to the previous 2008 version of Microsoft Office I was using for some time, and preferred the older 2003 version because I had really gotten used to that so my analysis and comparison would inevitably be geared towards the 2003 version and the 2010 Power Plus version.

The most marked difference I would say is the overall design and layout and the 2010 version takes up far more space on my hard drive, but seemingly has more features.

I used the most common programs of the Office software pack like PowerPoint, Word (the most)

and Excel and occasionally I use Outlook as well but not as much.

The layout and design is definitely eye-catching and keeps me interested in my work so I think they did good on that front and the transparent, quality feel to the window edges gives a whole new meaning to enjoying one’s work.

2003 to 2010 is big step up so it took me some getting used to and I got a bit annoyed when I couldn’t find the familiar menu bar at the top of the window, which usually has just about all the functions I would want to use to make modifications and edit the document I’m busy with, but I soon figured out that it was simply a matter of clicking the big circle that has a Windows logo embedded in it and up pops a drop-down menu with the same, familiar functions. These include printing, file, edit, view, insert, format, tools, table, window and help.

Operability

Everything seems pretty much the same though, as far as functions go and how to go about doing things. The simple tasks such as typing up and saving a word document are exactly the same as in previous versions but there is just one thing that gave me a bit of a scare. One of the many tasks I use Microsoft Office Word for is compiling sales letters to be ...

• mailed out to may clients. I used the Auto-Client-Name fill in property (which I had learned at a varsity computer literacy course) effectively enough and had the printouts have different names each time, but what scared me was adding a watermark logo (which is a high selling point) as a background to each letter and it didn’t show up in the printing preview. I had already confirmed for printer to print about a thousand copies when I realized this so I was terrified that they would come out without the logo watermark but they did on the printed paper. This always gets me so I always have to double check that I did add the watermark and hope it prints on the paper even when it doesn’t appear in the printing preview.

I thought is was a great thing that I could download the 2010 Power Plus pack from Microsoft for free, since I had already paid for the Operating System with which the standard version of Office 2010 came, so as not to have to spend more money.

Updates

I never really thought it essential to update Microsoft Office software like Word and PowerPoint, and subsequently never paid much attention to the prompt when it popped up, but on one occasion I confirmed for the prompt to have an update conducted by mistake and learned some stuff. Firstly, updates

were good for me personally because I once had a client who wanted the raft draft of their web page designed in the Calibri text style, which I couldn’t find on my 2010 Office installed on my machine, but it was there after the update. Also, improved and up-to-date templates in the templates wizard, such as the resume and CV templates now exist and are way better than the ones that were there before, so updating has proved to be a good thing for me then when it comes to Microsoft Office Power Plus 2010. I now do it regularly and am yet to discover the new additions, but I’m sure I will when the need arises.

As far as PowerPoint goes, I use it for a lot of slide show presentations and the slides look so much better and more professional, almost as if they were put together by a professional graphics designer. So, I really enjoy creating slides and adding sound effects as well as all the space-age transition effects too.

Overall, I’d say that it is a great improvement they have in Office 2010 Power Plus, but I still find some errors in formatting when I save files from different systems and move them to other systems across networks. Simply saving all documents to be compatible with Office 97-2003 solves the problem though, so that’s all good.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3014091531620430/k2311a0914/9.14.11