DSTV Premium Satellite Television Service (MultiChoice) South Africa
  • I bought the decoder at one of the Game stores, although there was no specific reason for this, but after consulting with the sales person, he suggested I buy two decoders as they didn't have any dual-view decoders (one for the kids downstairs and one in my bedroom so as to avoid remote wars)
  • Each decoder cost R1300 (about $185) and came with a complementary installation voucher
  • Nonetheless, I paid the extra R450 (about $64) and was rearing to go (I had been looking forward to having nine dedicated sports channels all my life and heard about DSTV's Supersport channels as well as ESPN and ESPN Classic), but had one last hurdle to climb
  • I had to call the call centre to set my service up and that experience was rather typical of any call centre
  • When I'm sick of sport (which only lasts for about an hour or two), I like to watch some reality TV on VUZU and E

• by dubej66

I have been sick of public television for a while now with all the excessive advertising and what not, but the final straw that compelled me to literally jump into my car to go buy a DSTV decoder was when I was anticipating a soccer match to be aired on one of the public channels, only to have it screened at midnight! “We are bringing this game to you ‘Delayed Live’”, is what the announcer said, and instead of even mustering the strength to challenge the ridiculous term ‘Delayed Live’, I got up the next morning to start the process of getting Digital Satellite Television.

I bought the decoder at one of the Game stores, although there was no specific reason for this, but after consulting with the sales person, he suggested I buy two decoders as they didn’t have any dual-view decoders (one for the kids downstairs and one in my bedroom so as to avoid remote wars).

Each decoder cost R1300 (about $185) and came with a complementary installation voucher. I would have thought that since each decoder came with its own complementary installation voucher I wouldn’t have to pay a single cent for installation, but the installers charged me

because I was having an “extra decoder installed”.

Nonetheless, I paid the extra R450 (about $64) and was rearing to go (I had been looking forward to having nine dedicated sports channels all my life and heard about DSTV’s Supersport channels as well as ESPN and ESPN Classic), but had one last hurdle to climb. I had to call the call centre to set my service up and that experience was rather typical of any call centre; long queues and being put on hold with some space-age music to keep me company.

When I finally got through, I must say that this is where I started being happy with the service as everything was explained to me very clearly and audibly. I chose the premium subscription which basically has all the channels and audio links available, but the High Definition channels, which is fine since I don’t have a HD TV set, and I’m not really looking to get one any time in the future. I love the flexible payment methods as well, since I don’t have a credit card I pay via internet banking and simply fax or email through the proof of payment on the fixed day of the ...

• month that I get to choose myself. I naturally chose the 26th, since I draw my salary from my business on the 25th, and I get a reminder sent in the form of a message on the decoder’s operating system should I forget.

Getting onto what the whole exercise is about, I was a bit overwhelmed at first by just how much variety there is, apart from the sport of cause. On one particular day I decided to flick through all the channels, just to see how many of them I actually have access to and I counted 92, which I will bring down to 91 since Channel O occurs twice for some reason. About six or seven other channels are in European languages I don’t understand, as well as one or two Asian ones, which have no subtitles, so those are discounted as well.

Television has become a very interesting activity now and I don’t have to worry about missing any live game due to most of them airing at the same time over the weekend. All games are repeated more than once over the course of the subsequent week and I am sure never to miss anything I sorely wanted

to see. I even get to watch Brazilian football, something I haven’t had the pleasure of doing since around ten years ago.

When I’m sick of sport (which only lasts for about an hour or two), I like to watch some reality TV on VUZU and E!, as well as some old time comedy favorites like Hanging With Mr. Cooper, Will and Grace, and In The House on SONY Max and occasionally I catch up with some of that British humor on BBC, with shows like My Family and Fawty Towers, then I go back to my sport.

The only downside of DSTV, being a satellite service is the loss of signal in heavy rainy weather, but that comes with the territory since satellite waves have short wavelengths and are affected by such obstructions.

I pay a monthly fee of R729 ($102) for the premium service which has Xtra-View as they call it, with the two decoders, otherwise it would have been about R65 ($9.50) less.

The built-in TV guide is quite useful, with detailed information about what is on and what’s next, although it gets a bit annoying having to wait for it to load at certain times of the day, like in the early evening.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2314091531590430/k2311a0914/9.14.11