2009 Opel Corsa 1.6i Car
  • The Interior Since I was looking at the car and really trying it out with the possibility of buying it very soon, I paid special attention to things like performance, space and the likes, and as far as the interior space goes, it definitely has more space on the inside than what it appears to have from the outside
  • I thought the interior has a bit of a cheap feel to it, with all the plastic components, but then again I guess this isn't exactly a car aimed at the upper spectrum of the market so it was acceptable
  • I love the back-lighting, which is an orange color when I switch on the lights at night and the experience was topped off with that new car smell that was so prominent inside

• by Scripted

On arrival in Cape Town on business trip, sponsored by the company I worked for at the time, I was given a rented courtesy car with a full tank and while I had choice between an Opel Corsa 1.6i and a Chevrolet Spark, I chose the Corsa simply because I wanted to test a newer model was after having previously owned a 2003 Corsa GSI model.

My 2003 GSI would then serve as a great predecessor to allow me to gauge the progress Opel has made in their cars and I was also on the lookout for a small car to complement some of the bigger cars I have, for everyday tasks like running to the shop quickly.

The Exterior

Silver wouldn’t have been my first choice of the color for this car, but I must say that in the five days that I had the car parked in my spot for that time, it managed to grow on me and I couldn’t help but take more than one look at the car before stepping inside to drive off. I reckon it has a nice, modern design to it and looks compact and

easy to control.

The Interior

Since I was looking at the car and really trying it out with the possibility of buying it very soon, I paid special attention to things like performance, space and the likes, and as far as the interior space goes, it definitely has more space on the inside than what it appears to have from the outside. I am quite a tall person and can sit in the backseat with enough legroom for a comfortable long distance ride, and when I step into the driver’s seat, I don’t have to lead in with my left foot to make sure it rests under the steering wheel, as is the case with some other cars I have driven and one that I own.

I thought the interior has a bit of a cheap feel to it, with all the plastic components, but then again I guess this isn’t exactly a car aimed at the upper spectrum of the market so it was acceptable. I thought it does look quite nice though, with the rounded dashboard and a very conspicuous volume adjustment knob that is situated rather close to the gear ...

• lever. I love the back-lighting, which is an orange color when I switch on the lights at night and the experience was topped off with that new car smell that was so prominent inside.

A good battery saving feature I discovered when I was waiting for my colleague outside a cafe store one Wednesday afternoon was that of the radio switching itself off automatically after playing for about thirty minutes without the car running and the radio also functions without the need of the keys.

I thought the car could do with some electric windows though but suspect strongly that that function is probably available at a little bit of an extra price, certainly something I would consider if I go on and actually buy the car.

The Drive

As can be expected, this car was very good for city driving with lots of stops and starts that come with all the traffic lights and stop streets, especially in terms of the fuel efficiency factor. I had to get used to the braking system though as it was a little bit less responsive than the one I have in my BMW 523i, but I

soon got used to it and it was satisfactory enough.

Take off was quite fast, which is what I expected being a relatively new car with low mileage and all but when I got the chance to give the little car a bit of a push on the open road, when I reached speeds of 110km/h and more, it started rattling and shaking a bit, which probably gives an indication of the overall balance of the car, but being a small car which is aimed at a specific market, I guess all of this is considerably justified and the car is clearly not built to win any speed contests.

In my five day long use of the car, I would sum it up as a very practical car which is quite good looking to and would be great for everyday light use.

The 2011 model looks exactly the same and sells at around R139 000 (about $19 857) but I reckon since I only really want it for an alternative car to use over very short distances, I can go for a used model which goes for around R80 000 (about $11 428).

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 914091531440330/k2311a0914/9.14.11