Tarte for True Blood LipSurgence Natural Lip Tint  » Cosmetics  »
  • I love that the lip tint is packed with pigments and has sheer to medium coverage, exceeding what I’d expect from a lip tint
  • Although I dislike mint on my lips, I guess that suppresses the synthetic taste of lip products
  • I recommend it, and I think you don’t have to be fanatical about the show to like this product

• by jhunie

My anemic lips could really use a rich red lipstick right now. This red lippy and the promise of wearing red lips every day seduced me. To apply lipstick is a bloody chore, but the Tarte for true blood LipSurgence natural lip tint makes it so easy to have red lips. Tarte does a smart move by capitalizing on the popular True Blood TV series. Vampires have conquered pop culture, and it seems they’re well on their way to beauty. I have no lust for vampires, much less the TV show this product was inspired from (though I’m a fan of Jean Rollin vampire films). Very rarely did I come across Tarte cosmetics in my shores, so it was mine for the taking when I saw the lip tint.

From good girl to vamp, this lip tint features a soft and hard-edged vibe. Applied in light streaks across my anemic lips, it makes just a nice cherry stain, almost watermelon-like. It beats

my cherry chapstick when it comes to pigmentation. Under lip balm, the lip tint glows with a succulent sheen, but I didn’t want to look like a sweet teeny bopper this way. I matte it out through blotting with a tissue, although it eventually gets matte the longer it stays on the lips. And then it reeks of vampy blood when applied more. Through filling the lips fully with the lip tint, I achieve close to solid, opaque color. I love that the lip tint is packed with pigments and has sheer to medium coverage, exceeding what I’d expect from a lip tint. It easily slips from wearable to something more dramatic. When I’m frisky for more rouge, I take it to a glitzy level by layering MAC dazzleglass. Then again that takes a bit of my time. If you attempt to do red lips for the first time, this shortcuts the job very well in as simple as applying ...

• lip tint.

Red gets a milder treatment in the true blood lipsurgence, not a total scare off like a vampire. It’s a friendly shade you can take out to the streets at daytime (without bursting into flames). Tarte’s take on true blood is not comparable to the impossibly glamorous appeal of a classic red, either. I would think a crimson shade would evoke the vampire theme better. It’s an appropriate shade, still, to fit anyone’s dress sense. I feel it leaves me wanting for a sexier shade, like my red lipsticks (maybe lusting for a ruby red). But it does give a punch to casual red lips over the regular cherry chapstick. The color dulls next to a vibrant pin-up red, and that’s okay as a lip tint.

Having used other organic lip products, I could do without the peppermint flavor. It never tingles. Although I dislike mint on my lips, I guess that suppresses the synthetic taste of lip products.

Lipsurgence is the smoothest to apply, contrasting the dyed liquid formula of my other lip tints that are problematic in texture. In that sense the smooth texture works like lip stains. Lipsurgence scores higher for me in pigmentation compared to a marginally similar product, the Clinique Chubby sticks. But this lip tint, I wish, could be extra moisturizing. It flashes none of the iridescent finish indicated once worn.

By my count it stays after 4 hours, and most of the stain survives even after that time has elapsed. Well-conditioned lips keep it from drying, though the dryness may catch up several hours later. Such staying power validates the steep price of the lip tint at 23 dollars (Tarte promotes the use of natural ingredients, and you’re supposed to pay for that too). I recommend it, and I think you don’t have to be fanatical about the show to like this product. Like the prime time show of blood-suckers, this Tarte lip tint is prime.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3113091531210430/k2311a0913/9.13.11