Direct TV Satellite Service
  • I know that the system automatically searches for updates in the middle of the night to not interfere with most viewers programing
  • At this point the third guy I talk to has finally takes me serious and forwards my issue to the programmers who program something for my box which they send by satellite to my house
  • We call to cancel and it takes 20 mins to get them to agree to send me a box to return my dvr
  • They cost as much as everyone else, but they will atleast treat you well

• by mamjess

I have had direct tv for 5 years now. I have had a few minor issues with them over the years but mostly it has been fine. First I will list the issues and how they dealt with them, then I will list how they have exceeded my expectations. I have had some form of cable or satellite tv for 30 years and would say I am a decent judge of services.

The problems I have had: The remote is flimsy. Under most use it stands up, the buttons do not stick, they are big enough that most fingers will not have trouble pushing them down and hitting the wrong button on accident. The numbers have never worn off. Sadly I am on my third remote. The issue is kids. These things are adult proof but not kid proof. The back has a rubberized part I would not think could be peeled off. Guess what, it can. This is the free remote they send you with your box. The corners can also be chipped if you throw the remote. My first remote ended up with two chipped corners, and bits of the

rubber part peeled off. This took my then 6 month old about 3 months to do. My previous remote (the one direct tv gave me with my old box held up for years, this one is not good.)

We have a dvr. Great price at $7 a month. They usually have no issues. One day it told me it needed to download software and did I want to do it now or later. I picked later. I know that the system automatically searches for updates in the middle of the night to not interfere with most viewers programing. Well it kept happening. Every day at first. I only watch a couple of hours of tv a day but I would see it and have to click no every day. Not a big deal, but if you do not choose and option it starts downloading automatically. Huge flaw in the system if you ask me. Once it starts you cannot override it by any means at home. This is not a big deal most of the time, but what about when you are watching tv and get up for a drink, or in

my case your child who cannot read is watching tv. Once it starts downloading it can’t be stopped and it can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes to stop the download and the option to download now or later is only on the screen for about 2 minutes, just long enough for you to miss it. Long story short, it starts doing this daily, I call customer service, they run through a few options, they can’t fix it. A few days later it is doing this download thing about once an hour. I call back, wait on the phone about 15 minutes before I get helped, they try to fix it again.

Fast forward about two weeks when it goes to about 10 minutes between the downloading. At this point the third guy I talk to has finally takes me serious and forwards my issue to the programmers who program something for my box which they send by satellite to my house. Doesn’t work, but I feel they finally took me serious. I call again. This time they say I need a new dvr box. They will send me one for $20 and eat the ...

• Direct TV Satellite Service
      shipping themselves. Keep in mind I have spent over 2 hours in waiting on the line and in trouble shooting with the guys. I also have been unable to watch tv for more than a month. I figure since they have a record of when my box started this since it is a satellite feed they will prorate me so I was shocked when I did not break the box and they wanted me to pay. I went back and forth with the woman on the phone and just hung up and called back (yes waiting 15 minutes of automation before I got a human) and they gave me the box for free. A week later new box comes. I try to hook it up, no go. So I have to make yet another call. We end up hooking the dud box back up and they schedule an appointment for me. So another week of waiting with the box that now downloads every 5 minutes. A nice guy comes to my house for free, messes with the box, looks at my satellite and I finally have decent service again. So no prorating, I
      am not out any money but I lost two months where I was paying for service I cannot use. While I waiting for the service guy they gave me my own guy with a number to call to fix things, then two weeks after the service call a guy comes to my house and asks if it went ok. Finally I felt they cared about me. They did handle it correctly. Their service line is awful but once you get a decent person on the line they will do right by you.

So in the end we decide it is too much of a hassle and we don’t watch tv often enough. We call to cancel and it takes 20 mins to get them to agree to send me a box to return my dvr. The next day a guy calls and offers me 3 months free hbo, 6 months stars and 12 months showtime all for free. I told him I rarely watch it anymore so he tells me they will give you free credit of $200 in addition so I stuck with them. I do recommend them. They cost as much as everyone else, but they will atleast treat you well.

DL Queen James says :

I have been a Direct TV customer for over 15 years. In the beginning the company was more customer friendly but since it is grown money seems to be the bottom line. I have started looking for a new satellite or cable company because I am tired of the frequent lost of signal. Ironically, when you call customer service most of the time they are aware of the problem but you never see a refund on your bill for not being able to get service. Another reason I am ready to move on is because the customer service has gotten worse. Usually when I call there has been a 5-10 minute wait and have to speak to at least 4 people before I can get to the right person to discuss my problem, which is ridiculous.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2312091530930430/k2311a0912/9.12.11