2004 Opel OPC Sports Hatchback Car
  • The Drive I love manual cars, which is to be expected I suppose since I am a young driver who enjoys the simple act of driving and this is aggravated by my Opel OPC Sports Hatchback, so much so that I have averaged just around 75 000 km per year as I find it a pleasure to drive this car anywhere
  • I don't think it'd do quite as well in a race with lots of curves, twists and turns though, being a front-wheel drive and all, so I never tried that kind of drag racing
  • In my six year of owning the car I have only had to take it for one major service in which a brand new clutch kit had to be installed which surprisingly solved the other problem I had of a very tight gear box

• by Scripted

I have had this car for six years now and whenever I get into it to go somewhere, I still get that feeling of excitement I had when I first drove it out of the dealership back in December 2004. I remember that moment like it was just yesterday - that new car smell or the leather seats (which pops up slightly still strangely, after the car has been in the sun for quite some time) and I don’t say this about a lot of things but with this car, six years on, I still feel as if I made a great buy.

When my first tire change was due (only the front tires needed changing but I changed the rear ones as well) at about 20 000 kilometers, I switched to low-profile tires which gives me an exhilarating feeling similar to muscle pains after a really good workout. As if the car isn’t sporty enough being able to feel all the bumps of the road with the low-profiles makes any ride all the more fun, especially on long, winding country roads that have your odd bump hear and there.

Exterior

There is no doubt about how good this car looks and my blue-colored OPC with sports lights and blue rims has me often staring it down before I get into it, even after six years of having the car

and it especially looks good after a visit to the car wash or after I’ve waxed it myself. Looking at it makes me feel that if it could talk it would say something like “Let’s go mate” with the enthusiasm of a young boy who can’t wait to go to Disneyland. It has that urging, appealing look about it which easily manages to turn a few heads everywhere I go and it’s no wonder why.

The Drive

I love manual cars, which is to be expected I suppose since I am a young driver who enjoys the simple act of driving and this is aggravated by my Opel OPC Sports Hatchback, so much so that I have averaged just around 75 000 km per year as I find it a pleasure to drive this car anywhere.

Short distances are great but long distances are even better and the car is indeed as fast as it looks. Unlike some of the bigger cars I own, this one actually feels fast even when I’m on the inside and it takes off very effortlessly and accelerates just as effortlessly too.

It is amazingly silent considering the compact 2.0 liter engine when I’m inside it and harassing the accelerator, but I love driving with the windows open just to hear that roar of an engine that sounds like is has a lot of ...

• unused potential.

I took the car to a drag racing amateur night competition once in which we raced in a straight line of about 1km at an aircraft landing strip and I came second behind a SkyLine which had some work done to it, so in my mind I came first as I hadn’t done anything but change the tires to my Opel OPC. I don’t think it’d do quite as well in a race with lots of curves, twists and turns though, being a front-wheel drive and all, so I never tried that kind of drag racing.

As an everyday car though it is just as great if not better because of the fuel efficiency over long and short distances, especially if I have idled it and let it run for some time.

On one occasion I discovered how to make the ride considerably smoother when I had a full load of passengers for a drive into the rural areas of about 320km. Simply having a full load make the ride so smooth, so when I’m driving alone I add some of my weight lifting equipment in the boot and get the same effect, although this does tend to hike the petrol consumption a bit, nothing too extreme though so it’s a price I’m always willing to pay.

Maintenance

Servicing my Opel OPC is somewhat of a breeze both financially and

in terms of effectiveness. I simply take it to an Opel garage and any spares that need changing are not expensive at all, probably because parts of other Opel cars are similar, like those of the Opel Corsa.

Service intervals aren’t bad at all too, and generally I have minor services scheduled for every 18 000km to 20 000 km, which include oil changes and light-bulb replacements and stuff like that. Being a front-wheel drive though, I spend quite a lot on CV-joints which have to be replaced every so often, usually between service intervals as well as I get a strange, high-pitched sound from the wheels when cornering at relatively high speeds, which is an indication (apparently) of worn-out CV-joints.

In my six year of owning the car I have only had to take it for one major service in which a brand new clutch kit had to be installed which surprisingly solved the other problem I had of a very tight gear box. It’s a good thing I had the clutch kit changed first because after that a change of the gearbox was scheduled.

A great little-big car that looks extremely good, very easy on the eye, which is good for zipping around in the city traffic as well as long distance journeys that allow me to really put my pedal to the metal and bring that under-used engine to life.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 911091530490530/k2311a0911/9.11.11