Adobe Photoshop 7 Graphics Software  » Software  »
  • I tried to re-size the toolbox to accommodate more icons but unfortunately that cannot happen, which would have been nice as opposed to having to click on the small, black triangle each time to explore the extended capabilities of some of the icons
  • Features Speaking of the magnifying glass tool, I don't know if this is a bug or not, but once I have magnified my graphical object to very large sizes that allow me to work on the details, I like to make it smaller again and shrink it back to its original size, just to see how my tweaks turned out, but in order to do so I have to save the changes, close the window then reopen it again
  • As far as the other features go, I reckon they have some interesting names
  • Speaking of layers, this is the best thing about Photoshop for me because I can work with different layers (like the background, text, pictures, foreground and special effects) separately so that if I make a mistake I don't have to start the entire graphic over
  • It only eats up 136 megabytes of my hard drive space and is the most powerful graphics software set I have ever used and at this point in time I think every last cent of the amount I thought was quite steep at first is paid off with every day use Adobe Photoshop 7

• by Scripted

Usually, I find my way around any piece of software, especially if it runs in the Microsoft Windows operating system, within a matter of minutes after first use as software applications generally follow a similar theme in their interface and operation.

Adobe’s Photoshop 7 was a bit of a different story for me as I took quite a while to find my feet and get to the actual use of it. While I usually just get stuck into things and feel my way around, I soon found that it was not to be the case with Adobe Photoshop 7, but I was determined to eventually figure it out and deploy its apparent usefulness to the very fullest, since I had paid quite a lot of money for it; R700 (about $100) to be exact.

While I had previously been using Windows’ built in graphics editing software like Paint, what I needed Photoshop for was for the creation of animated GIF images but once I read up some articles on how to actually use Adobe Photoshop 7, I made a complete migration to Photoshop and use it for absolutely anything and everything graphics or image-related, such is the power that I discovered in it.

The Graphical User Interface

One thing that doesn’t surprise me at all about Photoshop 7 is the loading speed in that I expected to load slowly because of all the features it has. Once the loading phase has completed I am greeted with my customized work station, which is a great feature because I have a certain way of arranging functional elements to increase productivity

and access favorite functions quickly and easily. I’m yet to learn the keyboard shortcut keys though, but I don’t feel as if I really need to do that because I have saved the arrangement of the workstation to allow me to select the functions faster than it would take to recall a shortcut sequence and type it into the keyboard. A great feature this, especially since most of the elements are represented by icons and not text, unless of course I hover the cursor over the icon for about three seconds or so, after which a little floating box of text appears to explain the icon.

I tried to re-size the toolbox to accommodate more icons but unfortunately that cannot happen, which would have been nice as opposed to having to click on the small, black triangle each time to explore the extended capabilities of some of the icons. The fill bucket for instance has extended capabilities which I took long to discover and these include the ability to create gradients which I creatively used to fade with other colors and backgrounds to create multi-colored gradients and great visual effects for some of my e-book cover graphics. I guess it’s not entirely a bad thing though because resizing the toolbox and other functionality elements would mean the subsequent sacrifice of space for the actual graphics object I am working on and I am the type of person who likes to blow things up to their maximum size, so as to allow me the precision of working on the smallest of details. This is where the ...

• magnifying glass tool comes handy.

Features

Speaking of the magnifying glass tool, I don’t know if this is a bug or not, but once I have magnified my graphical object to very large sizes that allow me to work on the details, I like to make it smaller again and shrink it back to its original size, just to see how my tweaks turned out, but in order to do so I have to save the changes, close the window then reopen it again. There is no option to shrink the object back after magnification or maybe I just haven’t figured out how to do it yet.

As far as the other features go, I reckon they have some interesting names. The magic wand for instance allows me to select certain areas and portions of a graphic in a number of varied ways. I can select the whole image and remove segments I don’t want by right-clicking and deselecting those segments, I can select, and add to the selection, certain portions based on the color saturation - something very useful to me because I like to use faded in and faded out colors for backgrounds.

Another great feature, which is somewhat of a compound feature in that it has many variations as well, is the gloss effect which I took about two hours to maximize, and it adds a certain distinctive quality feel to any graphic I’m working on, but especially cover illustrations for stuff like online magazines.

I also make a lot of use of the transparent background feature, not just to have a transparent background for the

particular image, but also to lift and move foregrounds easily between image layers, as it has often proven quite tricky to remove the background from an image if the background has many colors.

Speaking of layers, this is the best thing about Photoshop for me because I can work with different layers (like the background, text, pictures, foreground and special effects) separately so that if I make a mistake I don’t have to start the entire graphic over. Once everything is perfect I then merge the layers and create one final image. This is particularly useful for my magazine publications which have front covers that change monthly, so I only have to work on the text layer (to change the date and headlines) and the picture layer, which takes all of ten minutes depending on complexity.

Specifications and Performance

My system, which is a Dell Latitude D600 handles the program quite well, considering I am running on 256 megabytes of RAM and a Pentium M processor and I’ve heard from other people (more than once) that if you use Photoshop for a prolonged period of time, you might sometimes be required to restart the program as it freezes due to high use of resources, but this has never happened to me after six months of heavy use.

It only eats up 136 megabytes of my hard drive space and is the most powerful graphics software set I have ever used and at this point in time I think every last cent of the amount I thought was quite steep at first is paid off with every day use Adobe Photoshop 7.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3011091530480530/k2311a0911/9.11.11