2004 BMW 523i Sedan  » Cars  »
  • It is a Steptronic so I found it rather over elaborate to try and drive it in manual mode as the absence of a clutch to step on takes the manual out of manual driving, so I drive it in auto-mode to this very day
  • I have owned two BMW cars before this one, a 1994 316i and a 1999 323i Steptronic, so naturally I had some expectations of a newer model and I wasn't at all disappointed
  • I love that churning roar it gives when I step on the accelerator to send it forward effortlessly and I must say that it is a very quick car this
  • From the wheel alignment, tire pressure, brake pad wear and seat belt safety, right up to the distance left on the amount of fuel in the tank and obstacle reporting to avoid accidents

• by Scripted

It’s the year 2011 now but my 2004 brownish-looking BMW 523i sedan simply drives people crazy, never mind the sneaky little fact that I got it at a cash discount of R131 117 (about $18, 731). Nobody knows that but me and the car dealers though, so I have everybody going on and on about how I simply have a whole lot of money.

I could never afford a brand new 2011 model BMW, but I reckon even a BMW of seven years ago is better than most 2011 models of other car makes and this notion of mine was proven twice. The first time was when I was at work and had my 2004 BMW 523i parked right next to a 2011 Nissan Micra. Everybody was telling me how good my car looks and said nothing about he car next to it. On another occasion I was parked next to a 2011 Volvo and still got more of the same overshadowing presence that came with what people thought.

The Drive

As with all older, used cars, it is always wise to take it for a test drive before one actually completes the purchase and that is exactly what I planned to do, but the dealers wouldn’t let me as they said they have a new policy in place to let buyers

return problematic cars within fourteen days after purchase, since they have had many problems lately with armed thefts during supposed test drives.

So, the first time I drove my new baby was after I had paid for it and was taking it home. My smile grew bigger and bigger the further away I drove from the dealership as it was certainly nothing like I had ever experienced before. I killed two birds with one stone by taking the freeway as I wanted to get home quite quickly to read the manual and get better acquainted with the car, but it also gave me the opportunity to put my foot down on the accelerator and see what this baby can really do.

It is a Steptronic so I found it rather over elaborate to try and drive it in manual mode as the absence of a clutch to step on takes the “manual” out of manual driving, so I drive it in auto-mode to this very day.

I have owned two BMW cars before this one, a 1994 316i and a 1999 323i Steptronic, so naturally I had some expectations of a newer model and I wasn’t at all disappointed.

Comfort and luxury have always been the order of the day and this time around it was no different, better in fact.

• Rear-wheel driving is something I can understand but 50/50 weight distribution in connection with rear-wheel driving to make the ride smooth is a link I cannot establish as a non-technical mechanical person, but all I know is that they have got something right. The ride is superbly smooth and comfortable in every sense, especially since I changed the tires from the sporty low profiles that the car came with from the dealership to normal ones. The low profiles had me feeling every bump in the road, albeit in a sweet-and-sour kind of way.

In comparison with my previous BMW model, the 323i, which has the same six-cylinder engine, I’d say the 523i has better balance and just looks so good. I love that churning roar it gives when I step on the accelerator to send it forward effortlessly and I must say that it is a very quick car this. It also has surprisingly good grip in wet weather conditions and I later learned that the tires secrete some sort of “grip gel” when it is wet so as to give it that super grip in such conditions, by reading the manual.

I was also quite surprised at how much fuel the 523i saves in comparison to the similar-sized engine 323i, even with shorter stop-start distances - something I haven’t come

to expect of any BMW. It is a bit noisier than the 323i though, but then again the 323i I had was a bit too quiet that at times I thought it wasn’t idling when it was. Like I said before though, I love to hear that roar given off by the engine when I give it a punch so I don’t mind the noise at all.

There really isn’t enough I can say about this car - it is simply magnificent and was worth every penny.

Interior

I definitely had to give myself time to sit down and familiarize myself with the I-Drive system, which basically controls everything, from the music to the suspension control, right down to the internal temperature and drive mode.

Comfort is definitely worth mentioning over and over again as it is simply phenomenal, even in the driver’s seat.

As far as any problems that need attention go, there is no need for me to do physical checks as the on-board computer literally controls everything and reports on absolutely anything that might be in need of attention. From the wheel alignment, tire pressure, brake pad wear and seat belt safety, right up to the distance left on the amount of fuel in the tank and obstacle reporting to avoid accidents.

Great car that I simply look for any excuse to take for a drive

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 98091529380130/k2311a098/9.8.11