Swatch Originals Gent Wristwatch in Just White (GW151)  » Watches  »
  • It belongs in the Originals Gent class, and I think this style is invariably androgynous and can be worn by anybody
  • I like that they used a pliable type of plastic that feels very comfortable to the wrist
  • It has become my official timepiece for home and, unfortunately, doing housework
  • I recommend Swatch watches because they never go out of style

• by jhunie

I’m the insensible person who likes to buy expensive watches, but complains why I never get to wear them as often as desired. Well not every day is a good time to show off that shiny dress watch. And I take extreme care to keep my watches good as new. I want a simple watch that I can wear all the time, at the kitchen, in my pajamas, and everywhere else. This calls for a sporty watch, but not the clunky chrono type. I used to be an avid collector of swatch watches in my youth (they particularly were handy back in school, when basic analogs were a requirement). I was drawn to the solid pop colors of Swatch watches (very retro). Yet it wasn’t the colorful fare that really got me to buy. Instead, it was the white Swatch watch.

I heavily rely on

watches as it dictates my activities from time to time. In a way, my watch is my own boss. But for some reason, I never feel constrained to time whenever I’m wearing this watch. It’s muted, without the annoying beeps of a digital chrono, and plastic, which I have the least to worry about. It’s a break from the corporate watches I’ve been wearing mandatorily like a liability. The watch is weightless compared to the metal hardware I cuff on my wrist. It’s so light that I practically forget I’m wearing it. The Swatch watch is like a cool watch you’d wear, that essentially tells the time, until you tire out of wearing it – at least not yet for me. As an adult, this wristwatch has rekindled my love for Swatch watches.

‘Just White.’ That perfectly captures the simplicity of the color. It belongs in the Originals Gent class, and I think this style is invariably androgynous and can be worn by anybody. Swatch is a fairly common timepiece, but I still love its utilitarian design, with a clean, simple aesthetic. When I held it for the first time, I realized its construction was roughly 90 percent plastic. I’m more partial to this make, though, than to wear icky rubber/jelly straps. The color looked very stark in the display, but the glossy straps tend to appear softer against the skin. The straps have retained its glossy finish after frequent use. I like that they used a pliable type of plastic that feels very comfortable to the wrist; the straps neither bite nor stick to the skin. I’m the watch-person who wears a watch tightly, and this fits me without leaving behind marks on my wrist. The ...

• Swatch Originals Gent Wristwatch in Just White (GW151)
      front and caseback are also made of plastic, featuring an external battery located conveniently at the back. This makes changing the battery a cinch.

From ‘just white’ the color can change drastically to off-white once it gets worn. It has become my official timepiece for home and, unfortunately, doing housework. I wear it when I’m keeping my eyes peeled on the time before my food gets cooked and even whilst washing dishes in the kitchen. The glossy straps are still white in the literal sense, but it’s just the matte underside of the straps that have yellowed significantly. The case and the clasp have preserved its original whiteness. As a watch aficionado in general, and of Swatch watches, it’s worth noting that Swatch watches manifest a loud ticking sound. I don’t know the internal workings of the watch, particularly the type of movement in it,

although this one strikes an audible tick. I can hear it even when the watch is at arm’s length away from my ear. The ticking especially sounds palpable while sleeping. Despite that bit the watch is faultless.

The watch has been quite durable. The crystal is prone to scratches, however, and the marks of which can affect the clarity of the display, casting streaky shadows over the pristine white dial or the watch face. So avoid bumping it on hard surfaces; sometimes wearing a watch loosely until the case flops facedown can cause this. In the event you chance upon a Swatch store, you can have the crystal face cleaned, and they’ll service it to remove the scratches for free. I’m happy to say it’s the most reasonably priced watch I’ve bought lately at 55 dollars. I recommend Swatch watches because they never go out of style.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 647091529360730/k2311a097/9.7.11