Plaquenil Medication  » Medicine  »
1.5
  • Fortunately, I did not experience any vision problems with this drug – but that may be because I did not take it for that long
  • My hair began to thin, and it was beginning to become noticeable just by looking at me that I had a problem with my hair
  • I know that everyone with rheumatoid arthritis is different, and a lot of people respond to medicine in a different way
  • My friends say it's not noticeable, but I definitely see a difference and I don't know if my hair will ever become as thick and beautiful as it once was

• by Opalina143

A year and a half ago, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder – meaning that is a disorder of the immune system in which the immune system attacks the joints of the body. Therefore, unlike regular arthritis, a person with rheumatoid arthritis needs to take medication in order to halt or slow joint damage. The first medication my doctor put me on was Plaquenil.

The medication is supposed to suppress your immune system and keep it from attacking your joints. One important thing to remember when taking this medication is that it can damage your eyes. I was very concerned about this when my doctor mentioned it. I had to go and get my vision checked before I could start the medication. Then I was supposed

to go back every six months I get my vision checked again to make sure it hadn’t been affected. You can go blind on this medication, which really concerned me at first. You have to stay on top of it and make sure that your vision is not failing. Fortunately, I did not experience any vision problems with this drug – but that may be because I did not take it for that long.

I did not experience any side effects with this medication at first. It did seem to help the symptoms a little bit. I was in a little bit less pain after four weeks of taking it. My blood test showed that there was some slight improvement. In rheumatoid arthritis, there is a blood test you can get which shows ...

• how seriously your immune system is attacking your joints. This medicine brought my rate from 60 down to a 48. However, this is still pretty bad – the normal rate is a four. So this medicine was only slightly effective. The Dr. decided to add other medications to it, and I continue to improve but very slowly.

Then I began losing my hair. Clumps of hair began to come out in the shower every time I washed my hair. It was coming out by the handful and that was hair all over my pillow when I woke up in the morning. My hair began to thin, and it was beginning to become noticeable just by looking at me that I had a problem with my hair. I was very concerned about this and

spoke to the doctor about it. He said the Plaquenil was causing it. I had to go off the medication.

So overall, this medication was not all that effective. I know that everyone with rheumatoid arthritis is different, and a lot of people respond to medicine in a different way. But I would be cautious about starting this medication because it so often can lead to hair loss and eye damage. My hair is still thin and it has never grown back to its previous thickness. My friends say it’s not noticeable, but I definitely see a difference and I don’t know if my hair will ever become as thick and beautiful as it once was.

Fortunately, there are many different medications that help rheumatoid arthritis and I’m hoping that I will find a better one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 267091529350730/k2311a097/9.7.11