Scosche FlipSync II Charge and Synch Cable for iPhone/iPod  » Electronics  »
  • I obsess about trivial things, and I like that this cable is very easy to put away after use
  • Next to the standard iphone cable, it was really the compact design that I bought and had me sold to begin with

• by jhunie

My original synch cable for the iphone was broken beyond repair. I have been using the cable for my ipad to charge my iphone (using the wall adapter) and a powermat dock designed solely for the iphone. No problem. I was lured into buying a product that appeared to be a compact version of the synch cable. The flipsync II disguises itself as keychain accessory and functions like a charge and synch cable for the iphone and ipod.

The flipsync II by Scosche performs simple tasks of charging and itunes-synching, filling the void since losing my apple synch cable (but not exactly to the standards apple established for the prototype cable). The 2.0 USB is responsive when connected to my laptop and readily synchs. I’ve plugged it with a PC that has iTunes installed without problems, and it synchs with a macbook fast – as it should. It would be extraneous to talk about transfer rates because importing files isn’t drag-and-drop for the iTunes. The compact flipsync serves to replace the standard cable when you’re, perhaps, in holiday mode or simply on the go. I obsess about trivial things, and I like that this

cable is very easy to put away after use. I need to replenish the battery life of my iphone from time to time, charging it randomly. Caveat: recharging the battery via a laptop is not as speedy as directly charging it on a wall adapter. But having a powermat charger defeats the purpose of charging through this cable, so I rarely use it for charging.

The scanty length of the cable demotes the flipsync from becoming a flexible charging device for iOS gadgets. With “flexibility” in context, I was hoping that the flipsync would work with apple’s proprietary wall charger as well as it does through a laptop. After all, the wall charger fills the iphone battery the fastest. I envisioned that the middle part of the cable-cum-keychain housed extra rolling cables to extend both ends to a favorable length. I was shocked when I extended the two connectors to a length not even half of the original apple cable. Both connectors detach to a mere, say, 2 inches on each end. Dammit. Did they expect me to dangle my iphone like a keychain too while plugged to the wall adapter? Unless ...

• you’ve got an extension power outlet upon which the cable can be connected in its periphery, charging thru that cube of wall adapter is far, so far from the flipsync’s reach. In this sense, the flipsync is strictly a charging cable for the laptop or car.

Given the irreverent decision of the manufacturer to economize the cable’s length, flipsync’s design also follows the same principles, resulting to, no doubt, the birth of the most compact cable. Next to the standard iphone cable, it was really the compact design that I bought and had me sold to begin with. Its size and shape take cue from the remote system of cars; more functionally, it’s supposed to dangle like a keychain. It has a loop which I attach to the ring on my bag, flanked with my portable hand sanitizer. This convertible keychain then transforms to a cable once you pull the connectors out. Whoever designed this may lean slightly obsessive on keeping things in orderly fashion (me too), in that the device requires specific instructions to flip the connectors. The connector labeled no. 1 (the wider 30-pin) opens up first, followed by connector no. 2 (USB 2.0).

To assemble them back, the order is inverted to the USB 2.0 sliding in and the iphone connector next.

At other times inserting the USB back to its slot is difficult. The wire is too short to reach the slot, and I get that it’s not very pliable. This also runs the risk of breaking the wire.

Sometimes I carry my ipad out; I discovered that it also works with the ipad. Eureka! I don’t own an iPod touch, but I happen to have the streamlined ipod nano – the one that looks like the bezel of a tank-faced watch. In addition to the iphone and ipad, the flipsync connects to my ipod nano too. The flipsync serves various devices in the iOS mold. It retails for less than 20 dollars, but I acquired mine online for 14 bucks. In the most logical sense, I don’t really need this item as I can use the standard apple cable from my other apple gadgets. Though in circumstances where mobility is key, the flipsync accompanies my iOS devices. I recommend it. While others like to slip their synch cables inside their bags, I’ve got mine in a keychain.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 166091528640330/k2311a096/9.6.11