The Flaming Lips - Unplugged (Song)
  • Despite this, I like the driving edge of the riff and Coyne is able to come up with a vocal delivery that’s suitable to the music at hand
  • Though Hear It Is really was not an album that I enjoyed that much, I’ll admit that Unplugged was one of the few songs from that album which I still listen to just because I think it has a good amount of energy behind it

• by grimmy101

Unplugged is a song by The Flaming Lips which appears on their album Hear It Is. Interestingly enough, the track opens up with a distorted guitar riff which actually has a pretty driving sound to it, certainly not the sound that the Flaming Lips would come to be known for.

The vocals come into the mix fairly quickly, and I must say that this sounds significantly different than what the Flaming Lips sounded like on just about all of

their later albums.

Despite this, I like the driving edge of the riff and Coyne is able to come up with a vocal delivery that’s suitable to the music at hand.

Though Hear It Is really was not an album that I enjoyed that much, I’ll admit that Unplugged was one of the few songs from that album which I still listen to just because I think it has a good amount of energy behind it.

Granted, the track ...

• certainly doesn’t stand up to the following works by The Flaming Lips.

After cycling through a simple structure, a guitar solo comes in, but it just strikes me as such a generic guitar solo that you would be hearing in metal or hard rock that it really does nothing for me and makes me extremely thankful that the Flaming Lips would go on to embrace a more experimental sound.

As a song by itself, Unplugged isn’t terrible by any means,

but it would certainly draw dry quickly so it’s really only a song that’s good to listen to now and then.

In addition, if you aren’t familiar with the Flaming Lips, this song, and this record as a whole for that matter, is certainly not a good introduction point as the distorted, energetic, hard rock sound which is explicit throughout this track certainly (And thankfully) was not the sound the Flaming Lips would go on to certainly focus on.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 146091528270330/k2311a096/9.6.11