Cream - Cat’s Squirrel (Song)
2.5
  • I should mention right now that this track is basically an instrumental (There is a very brief section with vocals, but they aren’t actual lyrics which is why I still consider this song to be an instrumental), so if the idea of an instrumental isn’t too appealing to you, Cat’s Squirrel may not be the song
  • The track opens up with a guitar line with a lead harmonica part over it which definitely gives the song a blues rhythm
  • In my opinion, I personally can really enjoy an instrumental, particularly if it’s an instrumental from a group made up of musicians as good as Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, and Jack Bruce
  • Overall, Cat’s Squirrel is unfortunately average at best and nothing to rush toward

• by grimmy101

Cat’s Squirrel is a song by Cream which appears on their debut record, Fresh Cream. I should mention right now that this track is basically an instrumental (There is a very brief section with vocals, but they aren’t actual lyrics which is why I still consider this song to be an instrumental), so if the idea of an instrumental isn’t too appealing to you, Cat’s Squirrel may not be the song.

The track opens up with a guitar line with

a lead harmonica part over it which definitely gives the song a blues rhythm.

In fact, the main guitar part of this track reminds me of another classic rock band who currently escapes my mind.

The brief vocal section I mentioned earlier comes in after about a minute in, but this is short-lived and soon gives way to a quick bursting guitar lead from Clapton.

This guitar solo goes on for a bit of time before returning back to a ...

• section led by the harmonica.

In my opinion, I personally can really enjoy an instrumental, particularly if it’s an instrumental from a group made up of musicians as good as Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, and Jack Bruce.

However, Cream surprisingly disappoints me on this track for a couple of different reasons.

For one thing, the harmonica section is the main part of the song and although it is okay for a short amount of time, it is nowhere near strong enough

to carry the bulk of this track.

In addition, I felt the talents of each musician really were not utilized well on this track at all which is one of the primary purposes of an instrumental, in my opinion.

It seems as if you’d get a better sense of the band from one of their normal tracks rather than this instrumental which is odd to say the least.

Overall, Cat’s Squirrel is unfortunately average at best and nothing to rush toward.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 145091527880230/k2311a095/9.5.11