Death Cab For Cutie - Champagne From A Paper Cup (Song)
  • Something that I notice right away, which I personally don’t enjoy, is that the vocals sound pretty buried in the mix
  • I understand that this is a debut record so there are obviously going to be some production issues, but I feel like the one thing you definitely don’t want buried in the mix are the vocals
  • Nevertheless, they aren’t buried to the point to where you can’t even hear them so this isn’t a huge issue
  • In addition, vocals buried in the mix don’t do anything to really help this confusing problem

• by grimmy101

Champagne From A Paper Cup is a song by Death Cab For Cutie which appears on their debut record Something About Airplanes. The song opens up with a simple guitar riff before a drum rhythm along with the vocals also come in.

Something that I notice right away, which I personally don’t enjoy, is that the vocals sound pretty buried in the mix.

buried in the mix are the vocals.

Nevertheless, they aren’t buried to the point to where you can’t even hear them so this isn’t a huge issue.

The track progresses on and has a pretty melodic sound to it, but I also feel as if there’s a hint of cynicism behind the vocal delivery of this track which is actually a tone that I don’t typically associate with Death Cab For Cutie.

I should also add that at first this track took me quite a few listens to really get, so I ...

• wouldn’t dismiss this track after just a single listen.

There is something about the guitar riff and the bass rhythm on this track which just creates a bit of a confusing sound.

In addition, vocals buried in the mix don’t do anything to really help this confusing problem.

Overall, Champagne From A Paper Cup is a very simple track in essence as it only goes on for about two and a half minutes and really just maintains one constant sound throughout the duration of the track.

Nevertheless, it certainly shows the early sound

of the band and points the direction for where this band would be going.

Though Champagne From A Paper Cup definitely does not match many of the other tracks by Death Cab For Cutie, I still personally enjoy it and the sound that I once considered so confusing and difficult to listen to now just seems to be a cynical vocal delivery which is rare from the band.

Personally, I wouldn’t go out of my way to listen to this track as the band has far better, but it’s a solid track for now and then.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 145091527700230/k2311a095/9.5.11