Audition (movie) 1999
  • Yes, I think it is very good but it is certainly not to everyone’s taste
  • There is a rather famous, or infamous, torture scene that is truly agony to experience, but I do not think that people who love a lot of gore are going to be satisfied with this film
  • This first part of the film is actually quite comedic as the women go through their audition interviews, but Aoyama’s favourite is the very beautiful and very subservient Asami and they begin to date
  • Audition is the best film I have seen in a while

• by Jeanne71

This film has left me pretty stunned and I really need to watch it again. Yes, I think it is very good but it is certainly not to everyone’s taste. There is a rather famous, or infamous, torture scene that is truly agony to experience, but I do not think that people who love a lot of gore are going to be satisfied with this film.

It is more like a David Lynch psychological thriller, right up until that torture scene which only happens in the last 30 minutes. I do not like gore and violence for its own sake but Audition is a lot more than that.

Audition is directed by Japanese director Takashi Miike and I watched it with English subtitles, some of which I did miss at the end because I could not look at the screen and so I missed what they were saying. This was my first Japanese horror and based on the last Japanese horror I watched clips of (which had hopping Geisha ghost zombies or something crazy) it was not what I expected and far more psychological and suspenseful.

I thought it was great basically.

The central character Aoyama, played by Ryo Ishibashi, comes across as a likeable kind of guy, reminding me of a Japanese Dustin Hoffman, who, with encouragement ...

• from his son, is looking for a new wife.

His friend is a film producer and he has the idea of holding a mock audition, supposedly for the lead in a film, in order to find a suitable women. This first part of the film is actually quite comedic as the women go through their audition interviews, but Aoyama’s favourite is the very beautiful and very subservient Asami and they begin to date.

Here, a sinister tension really starts to build up as Aoyama keeps receiving warnings about her along the lines of ‘something’s wrong with her’. This is in contradiction to her sweet and very pretty exterior

and it really kept me gripped as I wanted to find out what she would turn out to be, which was actually a psycho.

Audition could be interpreted loosely as a similar tale to Fatal Attraction involving a very damaged women and her sick revenge on a man who dared to think he could treat her like meat. It has more depth than just a moral tale though, it has hidden layers, symbolism and surreal scenes that made me think and I am still trying to piece it together.

It made me feel moved, scared, disgusted and rather sad too. Audition is the best film I have seen in a while.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112091527210330/k2311a092/9.2.11