The TOEFL Test

• by PolinaGaneva

I will assume you already have basic information about the TOEFL test, so if you don’t, please google it and come back later. I will talk about my own experience and things that in my opinion were good or bad. Do understand that the information here is probably very valuable, especially on the test day.

After I prepared for a month or so, I went to the Test center (it was in the iStudy Language School - one of the many designated test centers in Sofia, Bulgaria). I was very worried and my stomach hurt a lot so if you too have a case of nervousness before important tests and exams, find some relaxation techniques and

master them. Do not take any pills or caffeine drinks - the first will make you sleepy, the second will make you shake. You don’t want either, trust me.

The main thing that I liked about the test was that it focused on language skills. Reading, listening, speaking and writing were the four parts - no grammar or special vocabulary exercises. I am an avid reader and I love to watch movies. This prepared me the most and I was definitely happy that I didn’t have to study a lot before the exam. If you think you are not that comfortable with your English, and/or prefer a more standardized test, TOEFL is not for you.

I ...

• am also quite comfortable with computers and I found it easy to take the iBT test. The test center I was in also had very nice machines, making the whole thing a bit more pleasant. The headphones and microphones worked well. I felt relieved after realizing everything was fine because I worried a lot about my test not being recorded or something.

But there is also one major disadvantage - as the company warns you before the exam - some people might start the Speaking section before you. So here is what happened to me - even before I had finished my Listening, some examinees were already speaking, which was awfully distracting and unfair. I tried

to listen but my attention was constantly drawn to the person next to me, who was answering her questions.

And not only that - when I was finally finishing up my Speaking, some have already started the Writing - I couldn’t gather my thoughts and speak coherently, as keyboards around me were literally bashed hastily and as if with anger. It was once again very distracting. After all, I thought TOEFL was supposed to measure your English knowledge, not your ability to concentrate in a stressful environment…

So I want to advise all test takers to practice in a surrounding that isn’t quiet and relaxing. When you go on the test day you will get what I mean.

Anita Sanduri says :

I just took the same TOEFL test four months ago. I took the IBT test in Indonesia. I had a quite different experience here. IBT test is a very expensive test here in Asia so just some people can afford it. The day I took this test, there were only four people. It`s done by two instructors and basically they just guided us to use the computer. We`re provided a very big room with forty computer sets inside this room. We were spread and the space was huge. So when I did my speaking or listening, I could concentrate perfectly. Nobody bothered me. I couldn`t hear anything.Plus the headset that I used at that time really helped me to concentrate on my test. Usually for a very international test like this, the position of seating arrangement will be considered seriously to help the test takers.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5031081526641031/k2311a0831/8.31.11