Estee Lauder Idealist Cooling Eye Illuminator  » Cosmetics  »
  • Coming from the skincare department, Estee Lauder is definitely an idealist
  • Concealer-wise, the cooling eye illuminator is more illuminating than concealing, cosmetically, which I like
  • My loose powder can do this alone, but I believe the cream prevents my makeup from sinking in fine lines
  • I enjoy the cold sensation under my eyes, and the smooth texture of the cream facilitates the ease of dabbing the ceramic tip with a light hand
  • That, however, doesn’t substantiate the quality of the product to be worth paying 50 dollars, but notwithstanding my bias to EL products, I recommend it still for its moisturizer-concealer formula

• by jhunie

Coming from the skincare department, Estee Lauder is definitely an idealist. I’ve been following Estee Lauder’s products, and to splurge over them is another definite shopping ideal of mine. Estee Lauder outs the Idealist cooling eye illuminator, an under-eye concealer with skin brightening benefits in one. Just launched in the neighborhood, the product was introduced to the press, and I was lucky to get it for free. Brighter, not saggy under-eyes have become a tough beauty ideal to achieve, and I’ve learned to live with mine (dark circles) for years. Having lost my confidence in concealer sticks and pens (touch éclat anyone?), I don’t count, however, under-eye concealer an ideal item to include in my makeup arsenal, as avoiding concealer malfunctions require mastery (think of unnatural, whitish cast around the eyes that photographs terribly in flash). The cooling eye illuminator seems worth considering as a cooling concealer.

Concealer-wise, the cooling eye illuminator is more illuminating than concealing, cosmetically, which I like. It’s not your heavy-duty opaque concealer for dark circles. I’d describe it as a lightly

tinted eye cream instead. Mine shows a beige tint, and through looking at the cream itself, you distinguish that it has a milky glow of a pearl. Like every EL face cream, it’s very moisturizing and leaves the skin looking dewy. Few micro-shimmers haphazardly glimmer but are practically invisible. The eye illuminator’s coverage if any does very little to cover up those shady circles. It blends to obscurity that I can’t see if it does anything, although marginally the tint is discernible. Wait till I put some powder foundation and setting powder on, which amplify the tint of the cream, to build it up. And my eyes look naturally radiant. My loose powder can do this alone, but I believe the cream prevents my makeup from sinking in fine lines. In a nutshell, the cream works as an illuminating base under makeup. This is a better way to correct (not atrociously hide) dark circles, without looking like you’re wearing a concealer.

The product is not only in the formula itself; the packaging that contains ...

• the cream inside is part of the idea. What makes it cool – and I mean that not figuratively – is the ceramic tip of the tube. The tube has a slanted tip that serves as applicator, from which the cooling effect of the product comes from. The ceramic tip elicits a cold touch when it comes in contact to the skin, comparable to eye rollers. It’s a sensation that happens almost instantly, whereas eye rollers take some rolling for the cooling sensation to be felt. Its edge over rollers is that you can direct the cooling effect to a specific area. I enjoy the cold sensation under my eyes, and the smooth texture of the cream facilitates the ease of dabbing the ceramic tip with a light hand. I would think it doesn’t measure up to the soothing and therapeutic effect of a cooling, de-puffing eye patch, but it certainly works like a quick perk up for my just-out-of-the-bedroom-eyes. Also, the ceramic tip can function like a massage tool. Just avoid squeezing the
        tube.

The cold tip is not my tool of choice, though, for blending the tinted cream. So sometimes I forget to relish massaging the tip and, in a pinch, proceed directly to patting the cream with my finger. Setting the cream with powder is necessary for my oily skin. When granting my beauty ideal of having brighter eyes, as a skincare product – that it hasn’t met, yet. My under-eye, concurrently ameliorated by a vitamin K formulated eye cream, is the same. I apply the cream once daily with makeup, so maybe that’s the reason it hasn’t been effective at diminishing dark circles. The cool tip may help de-puff droopy eye bags, presumably. Mine’s been looking alright since getting plenty of sleep.

To weigh in its value, the term illuminator only rings true to the cosmetic side of the product, as a light concealer and not the “ideal” eye cream. That, however, doesn’t substantiate the quality of the product to be worth paying 50 dollars, but notwithstanding my bias to EL products, I recommend it still for its moisturizer-concealer formula.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3129081525931031/k2311a0829/8.29.11