Mosquito Repellent - Para Kito Bands  » Health  »
  • I dislike the idea of insecticide-packed skin lotion
  • Then I found the Para Kito bands which can be worn either as wristband or anklets
  • I was quite disappointed to find very few review on it to help me decide
  • Maybe out of desperation or dengue paranoia, I bought 2 Para Kito
  • My daughter and i had some fun as we sat side by side and watch mosquitoes avoid her and land on my left arm (she was sitting on my right as she wore her Para Kito on her right ankle)

• by Thinking Mom

It is heartbreaking to hear the horror stories of parents losing their kids to Dengue. I myself lost some night’s sleep over it. My kids are teens, but they are not safe. All places are potent threats for the presence of dengue-carrying mosquitoes! - in our backyard, in the classroom, even in the school bus. So, I started my “quest” on how to protect my own kids to these pesky pests!

I dislike the idea of insecticide-packed skin lotion. We do not really know the long-term effects of such to our youngsters. So for a while, I put MoskiShield sticker patches on their clothes. For the first two hours after application, I can say that it is effective. But how can you expect to protect a school kid for just 2 hours when they have to be in school at least for 8 hours!

Last Friday, I searched and searched the internet. Then I found the

Para Kito bands which can be worn either as wristband or anklets. I was immediately sold to the idea since I am a sticker-patch user already. I was quite disappointed to find very few review on it to help me decide. There are just ads bout it, that it is used by campers and mountain-climbers. Maybe out of desperation or dengue paranoia, I bought 2 Para Kito. And I am glad I did! It was effective to keep mosquitoes away much the same way that Moskishield does but the scent from Para Kito does not fade. It has been 3 days now. My daughter and i had some fun as we sat side by side and watch mosquitoes avoid her and land on my left arm (she was sitting on my right as she wore her Para Kito on her right ankle). Of course, I immediately whacked the unfortunate mosquito. How dare it landed ...

• on my arm! But it felt good that the steep price of Para Kito (P750 each band with 2 pellets) is doing its job!

Now I do not have to put stickers on my kids and be a worry wreck after 2 hours! and they love wearing it because of its youthful, sporty style.:)

However, my son complained of a mosquito bite on his left ankle (I pray that it is a male mosquito or that it is not a dengue-carrier) while he has his Para Kito on his right! It turned out that he sat on the concrete porch horseback-riding style - his two legs separated by the concrete! There, there is the limitation. Another is that when we were in church, and an electric fan is blowing from my daughter’s left side, she instinctively whacked at a mosquito that landed on her arm.

The Para Kito’s effectiveness is dependent on its ability to mask human

scent that it is affected by solid barriers or by strong stream of air. It does not completely protect my kids but better than lotions or patches. With its limitations, I am thinking of buying another pair. So that my kids will have one on an ankle and another on the opposite wrist. But my daughter is already indignant about it. She will be “overdecorated” as she puts it.:) So now, what I do is put the Para Kito bracelet on her wrist and put a Moskishield sticker right inside the fold of the hem of her skirt, just to be sure. My son wears long pants so he has his black Para Kito on one of his wrists.

Overall, I am satisfied with Para Kito. I did not regeret buying it. I just hope it lasts longer than the advertised life of 15 days per pellet. Or, I hope they can sell it cheaper:)

Chris says :

Found these on sale at my local chemist and thought to try them out as I live in tropical north Qld and mozzies love us. Trialed it at my parents place who live behind a large drain and a mozzie hotspot - four bites in half an hour, with a brand new cartridge in it. Gardening at my place when it had been going four days I got eaten alive with it on, including a bite that happened right beside the band

Also very difficult to fit on my ankle - doesn’t go large enough. Tried wearing it at work on my ankle as I work in a pet store and didn’t want to dip it into fish tanks, and it was right on the end of the velcro strip and fell off my foot ten minutes in.

Maybe they work better in lesser frequency spots for mozzies, or maybe for people who aren’t highly prone to attracting mozzies like me, but my conclusion is a total failure for my area and I’m sorry I wasted money on it

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3426081525240231/k2311a0826/8.26.11