NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Slate  » Cosmetics  »
  • At last that convenient eye color in a stick has been realized by NYX
  • I think this is the best eyeshadow pencil
  • The pencil is richly pigmented, and its quality overall surpasses the price I paid for it (3 or 4 dollars)
  • I like that it goes on very creamy, almost balm-like
  • Slate has an abundance of uses, and I recommend it if you’re fond of dark, smoldering shades

• by jhunie

An item I recently bought that deserves a good review here is the NYX jumbo eye pencil. It is a pencil that conveniently switches from eye liner to eyeshadow. I own two of these pencils, the other is Yogurt, a frosted pinkish nude, and the one I’ve been using most frequently is Slate, which I’ll zero in on this review.

The NYX jumbo pencil is unbelievably easy to pull off. I’ve been ripped off by a great deal of eyeshadow pencils, sticks, stylos, and anything for that matter (Covergirl’s shadow blast and Maybelline, to name a few). At last that convenient eye color in a stick has been realized by NYX. I think this is the best eyeshadow pencil. The pencil is richly pigmented, and its quality overall surpasses the price I paid for it

(3 or 4 dollars). NYX gets the texture right for a cream stick. I like that it goes on very creamy, almost balm-like. It’s very gentle on the skin. The wonderful texture is a far cry from unusable cream sticks that scratch my delicate eye lids. Just a light nudge, and the pencil imparts adequate pigments on the lids. It sets creamy and is workable with a brush, yet also easy to feather with a finger. More often than not I just dot the pencil across the lids, and dab it with a finger.

Slate is a dark-denim blue shade, technically, the way I see it in the website, although this color in actuality is a bluish gray. The disparity between the two is so far apart. I was a bit intimidated by the shade, seeing that it’s too vampy or gothic for daytime. Though as liner to teal eyeshadow, Slate is not at all heavy. It has a nice metallic finish that draws the light to the eyes. When smudged, the shade turns to a softer grayish indigo. Some silver shimmers give the shade an iridescent glow.

The pencil has intense pigments that definitely make it possible to use as an eyeshadow. My eye palette runs the gamut from pale neutrals to darker evening shades. Slate very much fits in my evening palette. It blends perfectly with smoky navy blues and teals. It enhances tonality between such shades, and I’ve hit a splendid combination of colors, refining my techniques at doing the perfect teal eye makeup. Slate is a good base color in ...

• NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Slate
      creating a sumptuous smoky eye. A favorite of mine is to use it as a liner. You can tone down its shimmery finish by putting matte powder eyeshadow on top. But the sheen improves the 3-dimensional look that I’m going for. I smudge a little of the pencil on the outer corners to emphasize depth. If you apply the pencil lavishly, I’m certain it would crease no sooner than an hour or two. That is, when you intend to use it all over the lids. But for simply lining and defining the depth of your makeup, it’s destined to last.

In size, the fat pencil resembles chunky crayons. On top of being a fun, fatty pencil, you actually get more product from it as well. A transparent piece of plastic caps off

the tip of the pencil, and know that it’s very easy to displace or lose. The creamy tip is somewhat squishy, so keep the cap on. Considering the size of the pencil, you’ll have to look for a bigger sharpener that fits. And that’s a requisite tool. Trust me. Otherwise, how are you going to keep using the pencil without a sharpener? I was then at a loss finding a sharpener that works with the pencil, but now I managed to get one. I’m longing to acquire other shades in the selection. I heard how other shades were useful for highlighting (the one in milk?) while a few of them in muted neutrals work great as bases. Slate has an abundance of uses, and I recommend it if you’re fond of dark, smoldering shades.

Reniece Dixon says :

These eye pencils are overall amazing. I own a few other shades like milk and pure gold. I purchase them straight off the NYX site for $ 4-$ 5. I think you may be able to get it less on other sites but whatever product I buy I prefer to get it straight from that site. I find the best way to use them is to apply them straight to your eye and blend them out with a brush. Do not use your fingers. I use them for eyeshadow, blending as well as an eyeshadow base. Slate, especially for a classic smokey eye. The thing I like with NYX products is that they are affordable, I can buy many of one items at any given time and the quality is not a reflection of the price. The quality of the jumbo eye pencils is great. I think this is something I will always have in my kit and something I will continue to use.

Shayna Resnick says :

re : Slate has an abundance of uses, and I recommend it if you’re fond of dark, smoldering shades
I prefer the thinner shaped eye pencils.

Reniece Dixon says :

I agree. I use Slate for a bold smoky eye.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3123081523800931/k2311a0823/8.23.11