Buffet E11 Clarinet
  • The Buffet E11 Clarinet- The standard-issue clarinet that schools give out (if they can afford better than a Yamaha or Jupiter)
  • I also noticed that some of the nylon stings they had used for the keys were replaced with wiring- it looked like it would be a lot sturdier
  • In my opinion, they should have spaced them out a little more, but I assume it is because the clarinet was meant for younger students
  • In a few years you may have have to buy a more professional model and you'll regret wasting about $1,000 on this model

• by topdoghawaii

The Buffet E11 Clarinet- The standard-issue clarinet that schools give out (if they can afford better than a Yamaha or Jupiter).

First Impression: My first thought when I saw the E11 was that it had a nice build to it- it looked a lot sleeker than it’s predecessor. I also noticed that some of the nylon stings they had used for the keys were replaced with wiring- it looked like it would be a lot sturdier. I was impressed at first glance.

Testing: Upon trying

the clarinet, I noticed a little stuffiness- it felt like there was resistance between the barrel and the opening of the bell. I tried a few other E11’s with the same result. It was nothing drastic- but enough to notice. I also saw that the keys were fit more snugly together. In my opinion, they should have spaced them out a little more, but I assume it is because the clarinet was meant for younger students.

After 3 weeks: I noticed that the clarinet opened ...

• up a lot more- it was much easier to play on than when I first got it.

Likes: The clarinet was put together professionally. I liked the bore they used as well as the pads they included with it. It has a nice round sound and is easy to play after breaking it in.

Dislikes: When the reed is a little too soft or a little too hard, the clarinet can adopt a honky tone- something I don’t really like. The keys are also too

closely put together. Another thing I noticed was that over time, the wiring and strings will loosen causing the keys to shake a bit. A lot of maintenance is needed to keep the clarinet in top condition.

Conclusion: If you’re serious about the clarinet, don’t buy this one. In a few years you may have have to buy a more professional model and you’ll regret wasting about $1,000 on this model. However, if you want to learn for fun, the E11 is the way to go!

Wayne Oberfeitinger says :

re : The Buffet E11 Clarinet- The standard-issue clarinet that schools give out (if they can afford better than a Yamaha or Jupiter)
    I am a school band director and no school would ever "give out" this level of instrument to beginning students - or any students. This is a higher-end wood clarinet. Student clarinets are usually plastic. This makes them suitable for marching band and for the usual abuse that beginners give to an instrument as they are learning to properly care for the instrument.

Also, the cost would be prohibitive for all but the wealthiest schools to stock as "school-owned" instruments. Even then the wood construction limits its use to indoor, concert band only.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1418081522510331/k2311a0818/8.18.11