Loreal HIP Jelly Balm in Ripe
  • I was finding for a lightly tinted lip balm to wear under clear lip gloss, when I ran into little pots of what I thought were plain lip balm
  • Well what I think about this product is that – it’s a hodgepodge
  • To extend its wear, I like filling my lips first with a lip pencil (MAC’s lip pencils works great), preferably a pale pink to create a cooler base
  • The gourmand scent is, well, an eatable smell, but I’ve definitely smelt that caramel/vanilla scent before
  • If you can fork over 5 dollars for it, I recommend you start dipping in it too

• by jhunie

These days, all I need is a swipe of lip balm and nothing else. Yup. Going minimalist is hardly the thing to call it because the Loreal HIP jelly balm takes care of everything. I was finding for a lightly tinted lip balm to wear under clear lip gloss, when I ran into little pots of what I thought were plain lip balm. The jelly balm revealed a semi-gloss quality, so all I had to do was to pucker up – and finished. Yet it’s not quite lip balm, entirely, nor was it lip gloss, but both.

Just staring at the pot compels me to dip a finger and have my lips gorge on this juicy balm. The pot shows a seemingly solid pool of dry wax. I reckon the jelly balm compares to lip butters like those from Korres. In my head there’s a difference between jelly and balm; the latter should be thicker, correct? Well what I think about this product is that – it’s a hodgepodge. It’s a mix of this and that.

I take a glob of the product, and it turns out to have a believably jelly consistency. Then the jelly sets like lip gloss on my lips and plumps ‘em up. But after which it moisturizes my lips the same way a lip balm does. What is it, really? Jelly, gloss, balm…or, considering it has a bit of everything, the jelly balm is a class of its own. Loreal deserves attribution for making a unique product (although naysayers refer to MAC’s tendertone, which I have yet to try).

A red tint is very cliché in my book. Well so were the shades of jelly balms. I will not justify that this shade, in Ripe, is in any way sophisticated, though it’s a color that’s easy to rock and complements a fresh makeup. My lips get a nice, healthy flush from this balm. I recognize the tint as luscious, vibrant red. When swatched on my forearm, the warm orange tone of the balm appears evident, which lends a bright saturation to the color. Ripe, however,

• shows up like a neutral red gloss over my lips. Since my lips are darker now (I’m no longer anemic), sheer glosses, particularly those that are slightly tinted, don’t add sufficient tint and appear transparent; this product exemplifies that as well. The jelly balm tint is nothing spectacular by itself. But I j’adore very much the way it brightens my lips (with a pink base underneath). I imagine this would look more vibrant on cool or pale lips. I apply it rather thickly in 2 coats to get a more vivid tint.

As the jelly balm covers thickly, it’s hard to escape that sticky texture. The jelly or balm – whatever! – is viscous and takes a while to set. A good thing it never gets streaky or settles into lines. I can pucker my lips without messing up the glossy shine. It wraps my lips in a shiny finish and results to a voluptuous pout. That’s just the initial texture of the jelly balm. Wait till your lips drink it up, sort of, and

your mouth will feel plump and soft. The jelly balm is a good product cosmetically as it is a good lip conditioner. Even though the jelly wears only for a few hours, the springy smooth feeling that remains on my lips is a wonderful consolation. The balm readies my lips for the evening, in case I’m heading out.

Seeing as it’s contained in a pot, I guess dipping a finger right on it is practicable. I could finish it in a minute that way. But I find it more agreeable to use a lip brush. To extend its wear, I like filling my lips first with a lip pencil (MAC’s lip pencils works great), preferably a pale pink to create a cooler base. A lip pencil also gives the lips a defined shape. This fix allows the true tint of the jelly balm to appear. The gourmand scent is, well, an eatable smell, but I’ve definitely smelt that caramel/vanilla scent before. If you can fork over 5 dollars for it, I recommend you start dipping in it too.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3117081522370631/k2311a0817/8.17.11