Porter’s Liniment Salve Skin Treatment 2 oz
  • When I was cleaning house for an elderly lady who was no longer able to do it for herself because of limited mobility, I came across a few things in her medicine cabinet that were very interesting
  • I ordered a tin for the lady and one for myself, since I like to collect such unusual things, whether they work or not
  • I am not sure whether to recommend something with questionable ingredients

• by reviewabit

I have a soft spot for “old time” remedies. When I was cleaning house for an elderly lady who was no longer able to do it for herself because of limited mobility, I came across a few things in her medicine cabinet that were very interesting. One was a very old little tin of Porter’s Salve. I had never heard of it, and it made me curious. I asked her about the product and she said it was too old to use, but that when she was younger she used it for everything. She rattled off a long list of ailments like splinters, cuts, insect bites and many other minor injuries that this salve was supposed to be a “miracle” for. She lamented that she had not seen any in

years, and the tin she had was “ancient” but she didn’t have the heart to throw it away because it was a favorite old product.

I could not read the ingredients on the salve, but I quietly promised myself that I would try to find out if the product was still in production. A few internet searches later and I hit gold. I ordered a tin for the lady and one for myself, since I like to collect such unusual things, whether they work or not. The salve consists of chlorobutanol, which is a weak anesthetic and preservative. It also has cresylic acid, which is a petrochemical. Other ingredients are zinc oxide, clove oil, camphor, ammonia, sassafras, myrrh, petrolatum, lanolin and beeswax

Very odd ingredients–but still, if it had been around ...

• that long, it must work. I did not really plan on using it extensively. It was more of a novelty for me as a “product collector.” When I took the small tin to my friend, she was shocked and delighted. She assumed it was no longer available. I had not said anything before, because I did not want to get her hopes up if it was not available– so this was a total surprise to her. She opened it and said it smelled just the same as it always had. I sniffed it too, and found the camphor and clove blend very pleasant. It has a spicy, medicinal smell that is the kind of smell you really love but are reluctant to admit it. I watched as she put some
        on her hands, claiming it was great for dry skin. When I had a splinter from a tree a few months later, I did use it to see if it would draw the splinter out, as it was supposedly famous for doing. It worked, the splinter eased right out, and the area healed up very quickly.

I am not sure whether to recommend something with questionable ingredients. Of course I am not a chemist– it may be perfectly safe, but it does have some of the things we are told are not so good. (Petrochemicals) I think for occasional use, it is probably very effective and helpful. I have found it to be. If for no other reason, I would buy some just to have it as a conversation piece.

Meredith says :

Greetings

Oddly enough I was just putting some of this on my fingers when I soon realized I was almost out so I did a google search to see where I could purchase some online. In my family, this tin can miracle worker is gifted as a present for any occasion, and I swear when someone sees that they’re gifted that smelly salve, you’d think they were the latest lottery winner. I’m 36 now, but Porter’s has been in my household before I was even born. I’ve given samples to friends and coworkers, and I’m seriously shocked more people haven’t heard of this.

I realize you are simply giving an opinion about this stuff and want to ensure everyone realizes some of the ingredients are “said to be bad,” but let me tell you…..

I use it daily, literally. It zaps pimples overnight, it has pulled out splinters of all kinds from every part of my body, it drew out an infection in my thumb i had sliced open, that was streaking up my arm, it is currently on my fingers as I had my nails done, and the acrylic powder gave me a horrible allergic reaction, which has split open my nail beds and it helps heal and seal it up. It takes the ache and soreness away from cuts and burns, and believe it or not, we’ve used it on our pets from cuts to hypokeratosis pads and I am not exaggerating when I say I don’t think there’s anything this ointment can’t tackle.

I swear by this, and no there is no placibo effect here, it honestly works and is worth it’s weight in gold…If it is not in my home, I start to worry.

This isn’t some magic elixer salesperson here trying to boost their cred, they don’t need it, they’ve been around forever, this is just a woman who was fortunate enough to grow up in a family that was exposed to it’s awesomeness, and am so glad I did…all the uses over the years would amaze you, and I often wonder the outcome had it not been a staple for us….

maybe i am being sentimental, but it reminds me of home, eases my concern to injury, and has kept my face clear since I was 11.

if anyone reading is still deciding, take the chance, you’ll thank this post that you did

quick note by anonymous :

Porters does work on sores as well. I have an open sore on the top of my foot, where it meets the ankle joint. I used Neosporin, had an allergic reaction after a week and a cousin gave me a tin of Porters. I went to the doctor, they gave an ointment to use and said if I had an allergic reaction to that to use the Porters. The Porters also stops the pain within 15 minutes. I plan on keeping this in my medicine cabinet from now on.

mazhar says :

re : I am not sure whether to recommend something with questionable ingredients

Crystal says :

I loved your review on this product. I have been using Porter’s Salve since I was little and my Grandma used it when she was little. It is an amazing product and really does work. I have to force my husband to use it though because of the smell (the smell that I find comforting)when I use it though he doesn’t like to admit it works but it does :)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3416081521841231/k2311a0816/8.16.11