Nirvana Natural Hair Care Shampoo Herb & Flower 8 oz  » Health  »
1.5
  • She used Nirvana Herb and Flower shampoo, and swore it was the best she had ever used
  • Once you get used to using a sulfate free shampoo, and go back to a sulfate one, it’s amazing how much better they lather
  • Unfortunately, it also has paraben preservatives, which are not desirable ingredients
  • It was interesting- a combination of the various herbs and oils, and it left you feeling like your hair had a spa treatment
  • I don’t recommend it for anyone with dry or damaged hair

• by reviewabit

When I stayed with a friend for a week, I ran out of the shampoo I brought with me, and used hers for the last five days. She used Nirvana Herb and Flower shampoo, and swore it was the best she had ever used. I had mixed feelings about the product. I have thinning hair, and I color my hair often. I have recently learned that the sodium lauryl sulfate used in most shampoos, this one included, can fade color and dry out the scalp, causing problems for thin hair and colored hair.

At the time, I did not know this, and did not think anything unusual about the SLS in the shampoo. I assumed they all had it. One thing can be said about sulfates. They sure know how to lather. Once you

get used to using a sulfate free shampoo, and go back to a sulfate one, it’s amazing how much better they lather! This shampoo made a luxurious, rich lather, which was a surprise to me because of its thinner consistency compared to many shampoos.

Besides the detergent, this product adds a lot of botanical ingredients that really look good on paper. It has wild cherry bark, nettle extract, wild rosemary extract, grapefruit seed extract, lavender, lemon grass, calendula, balm mint, clover, yarrow, acacia, keratin amino acids, jojoba oil, rice bran oil, glycerin, and urea. Unfortunately, it also has paraben preservatives, which are not desirable ingredients.

Basically, although my friend thought this was an all-natural product, it was more of a “hybrid” of a mainstream shampoo. It was really just a basic detergent shampoo with ...

• a lot of fancy botanical stuff added. I have to say, it had a very nice smell. It was interesting- a combination of the various herbs and oils, and it left you feeling like your hair had a spa treatment. The lather was amazing, leaving your hair feeling squeaky clean (which is a little too clean for my dry hair) and smelling great. The first time I used it, I tried it without conditioner. I thought I could get away with that, since I had been using a shampoo and conditioner in one with good results. There was no conditioner in this product– my hair was like a wet mop. I had to fumble blindly in my friend’s shower to find something that might resemble a conditioner, and I managed to find a
        cheap brand that had hardly been used. Apparently, my friend does not need conditioner. I have no idea what that feels like!

After drying, although my hair had plenty of volume, it felt a bit dry. Despite all the nutritious goodies and herbs, it just didn’t look too happy. By the end of the week when I had used it several days in a row, I was ready to stop at a store and by something different because my scalp was itching, my hair was full of static, and just did not look right at all. I don’t know if it was the SLS, or what– but this shampoo just did not agree with my hair at all. I don’t recommend it for anyone with dry or damaged hair. For oily hair, I think it would be good.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3416081521781231/k2311a0816/8.16.11