Maxi Peel Exfoliant and Whitening Soap  » Cosmetics  »
2.0
  • I dealt with the problem by switching to other soaps, but backne only grew in number
  • The soap definitely does more in drying out skin, including blemishes, compared to other soaps
  • Aside from the chemical exfoliants I found in its ingredients, the soap, in itself, is a physical exfoliant
  • The bar, or scrubber as I like to call it, feels a tad scratchy, but never abrasive
  • I know I’ve been a snob to local products, but I earnestly wanted to try it for the interesting ingredients

• by jhunie

I believe soap should be gentle on skin. Only Dove has occupied my soap dish for many years. Dove is an adult’s equivalent of a mild baby soap, but really? I’m well aware of the bumps existing on my back. I dealt with the problem by switching to other soaps, but backne only grew in number. I slipped back to using Dove, again, and that has done nothing as well. Dammit! I can’t ignore this problem any longer. My skin is my own territory. I won’t let these bugger bumps invade every inch of my back; thus it’s time to exercise some vigilance. Here comes the Maxi Peel exfoliant and whitening soap. Advertised to treat backne, it propelled me to this idea of a varied approach to cleansing my body and treating skin problems at the same time. Well I haven’t banished Dove completely (and never will). I still need the soap for the rest of my body, excluding my back, upon which I deploy Maxi Peel to wage war against backne.

I ought to think

Maxi Peel has fought a losing battle to clear the bumps on my back. In actuality, it seems to be rubbing salt to injury. The soap definitely does more in drying out skin, including blemishes, compared to other soaps. But it has failed to stop my back from breaking out. In fact, I did break out in a BIG way, as in huge zits followed after I started using the soap. To my mind the soap probably purged my skin. Either that or the soap really irritates my back. A large zit first appeared on my neck, and then a couple more emerged on my back (notably, one was as oversized as a button), which, aside from being unsightly, were all painful. It is clear therefore that my skin, irrespective of the soap, be it mild or rough, is very sensitive.

Opposite to Dove, Maxi Peel leaves skin tight, squeaky-clean, and not as slippery. The texture strongly contrasts the milky lather of Dove. It is an exfoliating soap after all. Aside from the chemical exfoliants I found in ...

• its ingredients, the soap, in itself, is a physical exfoliant. The bar has a textured surface that mildly scrubs the skin, although it’s hard to see how that’s supposed to help (instead of irritating) my backne. The bar, or scrubber as I like to call it, feels a tad scratchy, but never abrasive. I am iffy to lather the soap on skin longer than a minute. I try to work the soap one area at a time, washing it immediately before I proceed to the next. Sounds like a complicated method? You must consider first that, without a doubt, reaching your back is a backbreaking job. It would be impossible for me to twist my arms in such a way that I could cover my entire back in soapy lather by a single sweep. In fact, it takes 2 arms to do that.

The soap makes a good scrubber, and that’s all. I don’t suppose it peels the skin chemically. Weirdly the skin on my back has taken on an oilier state. I assume this is my skin’s

response to the overt dryness caused by the soap. Although it’s less daunting than acne, backne scars turn to dark spots that restrict me to bare my back. Whitening is another dim prospect. I’ve already invested enough time to use the product, yet scars remain visibly pigmented. It might take forever to diminish those spots if I hold on to this soap. It flattens some of the bumps, and though it’s chiefly for scrubbing superficial dead skin, my back overall continues to have a bumpy texture.

Chemically, the soap contains glycolic acid and salicylic acid. I know I’ve been a snob to local products, but I earnestly wanted to try it for the interesting ingredients. And nonetheless my interest in this product is near nonexistent. Under such circumstances, I explored other solutions. One product that worked was a body treatment lotion from Paula’s Choice. As a rule, nothing should purge my skin, most certainly not a cheap bar of soap priced less than a dollar. Given these points, it’s time to scrub this out of my bathroom.

Jomar Uy says :

glad to hear someone using Paula’s Choice too

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 318081519020431/k2311a088/8.8.11