Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Image Editing Software  » Software  »
  • Since I wasn't quite sure of the usefulness of the product, even though I'd heard so much about it from other people, I decided not to get the very latest version and I bought a used copy of the software pack from a friend who upgraded to a newer version
  • Using the software made for quite an interesting time as in the beginning I wanted it for a specific reason, that being to create 3-dimensional software and e-book cover graphics
  • With the help of some online tutorials, I finally got going very soon afterwards and was skeptical at first, given the apparent difficulty of using the software, but was soon extremely impressed with the range of tools that Photoshop possesses for my deployment
  • This I found to be especially true for some of my electronic magazine covers, where it was easy for me to change information like the issue date to appear on the cover, without messing with the underlying background graphics as they sometimes can be very rich in effect, such as fading colors and blended areas
  • Usability As far as actually using the functions go, for me it was a matter of playing around with everything so as to learn what each feature does and in the process I found some very useful things

• by webs2009

As I started gradually going into graphics designing for my sales pages, with typically required images characterized by catchy headers and convincing e-book covers, I guess I couldn’t continue to “kick the can down the road” and delay buying Adobe Photoshop any longer.

Since I wasn’t quite sure of the usefulness of the product, even though I’d heard so much about it from other people, I decided not to get the very latest version and I bought a used copy of the software pack from a friend who upgraded to a newer version. I understand a brand new copy costs somewhere in the region of $600, and judging by the capabilities I’ve discovered it to have, I would say it’s money well spent.

Using the software made for quite an interesting time as in the beginning I wanted it for a specific reason, that being to create 3-dimensional software and e-book cover graphics.

About ten minutes into having it installed and running, I still found myself trying to figure out how everything, if not anything works as the interface was relatively new to me,

since I’d been used to using Paint as well as PaintShop Pro.

With the help of some online tutorials, I finally got going very soon afterwards and was skeptical at first, given the apparent difficulty of using the software, but was soon extremely impressed with the range of tools that Photoshop possesses for my deployment.

Loading time is generally fast, as can be expected with any large software application, but once it’s all up and running I have a plethora of graphic creation and enhancement tools at my disposal with the most outstanding feature for me being the ’skewing’ property. This simply allows me to skew an image in order to fit it into any shape and I use this to create three-dimensional effects for e-book covers and software box covers.

Along the way I learnt about layers and soon found myself, up to this very point in fact, wondering how on earth I survived without layers before in my developing graphic designing life.

I also discovered that PSD files are in fact images in Photoshop format, which I find to be quite useful for ...

• easy editing and correction or modification of images further down the line, should the need arise. This I found to be especially true for some of my electronic magazine covers, where it was easy for me to change information like the issue date to appear on the cover, without messing with the underlying background graphics as they sometimes can be very rich in effect, such as fading colors and blended areas.

Interface:

The user interface was somewhat intimidating for me in the beginning, as the menu bar is a bit different to normal Windows applications in implementation, although it looks exactly the same as the industry standards. It took me a while for instance, to figure out that using the ’select all’ feature wasn’t carried out the normal way of going to the ‘edit’ menu member, but rather going to the ’select’ menu member which is isolated as a main category.

The floating toolbox I to the left, which can be moved around to my heart’s desire, is quite a nifty way of organizing the user-interface for me, since the position is customizable, along

with the other floating elements like the navigator box and the arrangement I am comfortable with is saved, so I don’t have to spend five-odd minutes rearranging my interface each time.

Usability

As far as actually using the functions go, for me it was a matter of playing around with everything so as to learn what each feature does and in the process I found some very useful things. The ‘magic wand’ for instance, is a favorite of mine as it allows me to select different portions of an image without having to copy the entire image. For example, I can remove a picture from a background without having to copy the whole image including the background.

I particularly like using the ‘transparency’ feature as well which adds some great effects to groups of images and graphics, rendering some portions ghost-like or see-through.

It took some getting used to but it was a lesson well learned and I really think Photoshop is a great addition to my graphic designing arsenal, although I am yet to use the Image Ready extension that came with the main application.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 308081518730331/k2311a088/8.8.11