Pogo Sketch Pen Stylus for iPad  » Electronics  »
2.0
  • Drawing on the ipad has led me to search the best stylus for the iPad
  • The first stylus I bought was good, but still short in giving me a pencil-on-paper experience
  • I found myself making a lot of errors while drawing
  • Though this may be just a learning curve that I have to overcome in time, it’s a far, far cry before I can get there, and before I can officially consider this a sketch tool
  • I suggest getting a steady rubber-tip stylus over this

• by jhunie

At last, a certain stylus saw the potential of the iPad as an artist’s sketchpad. Drawing on the ipad has led me to search the best stylus for the iPad. I grabbed one soon after I heard of the Pogo Sketch stylus. By artistic impulse, I felt excited that a pen stylus has been made for art’s sake, that is, for sketching. The first stylus I bought was good, but still short in giving me a pencil-on-paper experience. I purchased the Pogo Sketch with confidence that it would fully realize the concept of drawing on the iPad.

The Pogo stylus is modeled after an ordinary, say, ballpoint pen. It is slimmer than my chunky Alupen, a crayola-like stylus I have used before this. But both styli borrow the plush aluminum surface of apple devices. Due to

the thinness of the pen, it weighs significantly lighter and extends at an average length. Being skinny, the stylus allows me to see practically the full expanse of the screen, without obstructing my view of the line I’m drawing. The tip of the stylus shows a soft felt-like material like that of a lip gloss wand, or whatever. On the other end of the stylus is a clip. The tip looks insubstantial, too spongy, and nowhere near my idea of a drawing stylus; I expected something with a pointy tip. I assumed it was supposed to glide, perhaps, like a brush.

On the simulated iPad canvass, the Pogo Sketch performs surprisingly unfit for a drawing stylus. The pen is painstakingly slow at picking up my gestures, and it seems to turn the hi-tech iPad capacitive screen into something of an inferior quality. The deficit comes from, as presumed, the spongy tip. It would be off the mark to say that the iPad screen is unresponsive; clearly the stylus is the one that’s unresponsive over the screen. Lacking solidity, the tip of the pen is simply a wimp at drawing lines. I try to move it across the screen, but the line it draws breaks at certain points, and more often than not nothing shows up. In short, it’s subpar than drawing with my fingers, although that’s essentially what the iPad was made for after all.

After much practice, I got the hang of it a bit. The touch-sensitive surface of the iPad seems to respond better, or could be the other way around, to the stylus when pressed harder. Some deliberate effort is required to ...

• Pogo Sketch Pen Stylus for iPad
      wield this poor stylus. If I lazily place the pen at an angle, the tip just drags across the screen idly. You have to press the rest of the tip flatly on the surface to create a response, and doing so entails that I hold the pen vertically; therefore drawing becomes taxing and involves my whole arm as I move the pen around the iPad. It puts much strain on my end, manually. I found myself making a lot of errors while drawing. The pen requires twice the pressure as when you’re drawing with a pencil. Though this may be just a learning curve that I have to overcome in time, it’s a far, far cry before I can get there, and before I can officially consider this a sketch tool.

The same can be said also about navigation.

It would seem foolish, to begin with, to use a stylus for the menial swiping gestures you can do with your own fingers. That only prevents you from appreciating the innate intuitiveness of the iPad, which this stylus lacks. For simple tasks such as writing and doodling, the pen is acceptable. Still you have to press the pen harder. If there’s actually one noteworthy attribute of this item, it would be that the pen is capable of making accurate lines or strokes. But I’m eager to trade that off a better stylus, such as my other Alupen, for ease and comfort. Costing 14 dollars, this purported sketch tool disappoints. I suggest getting a steady rubber-tip stylus over this. Sadly, the Pogo Sketch has not realized, nor grasped, the concept of a drawing tool for the ipad.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 163081518031231/k2311a083/8.3.11