Too Faced Retractable Kabuki Brush  » Cosmetics  »
  • Although tedious, fumbling which item to use on which, I think, is worth the trouble than to do away with one multi-tasking tool that gives poorer results
  • I like to use a different one for every application
  • For neat freaks, you would not have to wash the brush frequently by ridding yourself of doubts that it’s dirty (I know I’m guilty
  • This problem usually arises every time I dust my MAC blotting powder which goes all over the place
  • I recommend this little shape shifter, mainly, for mineral makeup – and more

• by jhunie

I’m very specific with makeup tools. Although tedious, fumbling which item to use on which, I think, is worth the trouble than to do away with one multi-tasking tool that gives poorer results. The same can be said for brushes. I like to use a different one for every application. I haven’t picked up a kabuki brush in a long time for that reason. I can manage to do more with a generic powder brush. But the kabuki brush by Too Faced changed my mind. When switching back to mineral makeup, I gravitated towards buying a kabuki brush, which complemented mineral makeup far better than other brushes. Another thing, it is retractable too.

I’ve collected a few other retractable brushes, and this Too Faced kabuki brush joins my handy set of travel brushes. For

neat freaks, you would not have to wash the brush frequently by ridding yourself of doubts that it’s dirty (I know I’m guilty!). A metal cover, apart from its fancy print suggesting “kawaii,” caps the bristle securely inside and opens to reveal the retractable case. I describe the case as retractable, not the brush, technically, since the bristles actually are fixed. You slide the metal shaft covering the brush to expand its dome-shaped bristles. I like the simple and less mechanical design of the case. The sliding metal shaft, especially, maintains the dense shape of the bristles and prevents putting the bristles in distress. The compact size and shape make it easy to store. I still favor the wooden handles over it; it’s like holding a slippery tin can for my sweaty hands.

Though small, this cute, fluffy brush glides like cashmere silk on my face. I’m dazzled by the quality of the bristles. The plump bristles are as cushiony as a pillow. And for a brand new brush, the softness of the bristles compares to my MAC brushes. Shaped rather less plump than my Allison Raffaele kabuki brush, the bristles are densely packed and barely flare outward, so it resembles, at times, a powder brush. The thick bristles are highly condensed, suitable for buffing powder. But I wish the brush were a little spread out to allow light touches of powder. Made from synthetic material, the 2-toned bristles, I should say, look plush and expensive.

The kabuki brush is one buffing machine. Mineral powder, loose or pressed, requires a lot of buffing which I can’t do with a multipurpose powder ...

• Too Faced Retractable Kabuki Brush
      brush. Buffing can get abrasive over the surface of the skin after several counts of swirling the brush in circular strokes. I feel comfortable brushing the soft kabuki bristles constantly without scratching my face. The kabuki brush wastes no time applying powder and distributes it in sweeping strokes. I can finish touching up in a minute. It does waste some of the powder, however, throwing excess powder everywhere, including my clothes. Since the bristles take too much product, I tap off excess powder beforehand. This problem usually arises every time I dust my MAC blotting powder which goes all over the place. Conversely, I’m pleased that the brush covers my face with powder in a nice, controlled coverage (and I don’t look as white as a kabuki artist!). For the same reason, you
      may use it to sweep off excess powder.

There’s also a multifunctional side to this kabuki brush. You may heft the metallic shaft midway, as if you’re about to close it, to shrink, as well as to stiffen, the bristles. It clicks to indicate that it’s locked in that position, transforming the kabuki to a blusher or highlighting brush. It applies less accurately than such proper brushes but works for quick touch ups. For blush, I need something flatter. I have even tried applying bronzing powder, though the result could be softer. From time to time the brush sheds an insignificant amount of bristles. Although far from winning the ultimate multi-tasker title, this 20 dollar cutie let’s me bring just one item for various applications. I recommend this little shape shifter, mainly, for mineral makeup – and more.

Too Faced Retractable Kabuki Brush

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 312081517660431/k2311a082/8.2.11