Jane Iredale Amazing Base Loose Mineral Foundation SPF 20  » Cosmetics  »
  • I focused squarely on testing the Amazing Base loose foundation
  • The powder accomplishes the same airbrushed finish that I love about mineral foundation
  • I own the shade in ivory, which, come to think of it, is generally an ashy shade, but I think it corrects the pinkish undertones
  • I believe it adjusts on my skin tone, because my other loose mineral powder, also in Ivory shade, is lighter than this
  • This may urge me to blot the shine out, but I prefer not to touch my face and admire the luminous foundation

• by jhunie

I refer to mineral makeup as my skin’s success story. It’s the only thing out there that doesn’t provoke my sensitive skin, and when my skin gets into trouble, I always run back to mineral makeup. I’m not alone on this vein: my mom is a devotee to Jane Iredale’s cosmetics as it’s the only brand of mineral makeup that doesn’t exacerbate her rosacea. Both our skins are genetically alike after all, which explains why my skin loves mineral-based cosmetics as well as hers. Jane Iredale’s products also get a unanimous vote from my dermclinic. I received a sample kit courtesy of my mom’s friend, who’s selling it. I focused squarely on testing the Amazing Base loose foundation.

The Amazing Base mineral foundation seems less processed as opposed to other mineral powders I’ve used, and this notion stems from the wonderful glow of the powder. It glistens with a very slight sheen; therefore defining my facial contours. It’s not just a powder – the minerals are there and really enhance the finish of this foundation. When properly blended

and applied, the fluffy, weightless powder makes spotless coverage. It sets concealer and softens imperfections. Note that you might need a setting fix for this loose powder. I find, as with most mineral loose foundations, the powder just sits atop my skin when I blot my face with linen tissue, and even though the foundation was applied mere minutes ago, a bit of the powder gets transferred. Don’t hesitate to finish it with mist to cement or bind the powder on the surface formidably.

The powder accomplishes the same airbrushed finish that I love about mineral foundation. The loose minerals feel bare upon skin as opposed to moist cream foundations, tending to feel occlusive. Amazing base doesn’t feel like that even in humid conditions. I own the shade in ivory, which, come to think of it, is generally an ashy shade, but I think it corrects the pinkish undertones. I believe it adjusts on my skin tone, because my other loose mineral powder, also in Ivory shade, is lighter than this. There’s something special about the texture ...

• of this powder. It’s quite velvety and not powdery at all. I shouldn’t be complaining, when this bit of triviality hasn’t harmed my skin, but one should know it contains silicone. That proves my point that the powder’s texture is a bit modified than normal mineral powder.

I’ve concocted my own technique of applying the loose powder, and it’s a little unorthodox to describe in words. But basically, the principle in mineral makeup is that you must buff it in swirls across the face. That method also applies for this foundation – albeit with a bit of tweaking. Mineral powder has weak adherence, so I begin by buffing the powder around the face, and I find that this really works to help powder cling on the surface. This builds the foundation too, upon which I apply a second layer of powder through sweeping it downward. That finishes the foundation. In the event I need full coverage, I use a little bit of tint to soften the texture by applying mineral BB cream as base, and this also prolongs

oil-control of my makeup. For that, I sparingly apply loose minerals on top, and I do it by simply dusting powder in downward strokes. Certainly, that gives me flawless coverage.

The natural look of the foundation becomes more apparent as the powder mixes with my skin’s oils. This may urge me to blot the shine out, but I prefer not to touch my face and admire the luminous foundation. I’m still oily by the end of the day; I have oily skin after all. Jane Iredale uses physical sunscreens, aside from minerals, that suit my skin. No break outs. With scores of mineral products (more or less similar in formula as this) flooding the market, the hefty price tag is way beyond my league. I recommend it still. Priced at 40 dollars, I can spend on a dupe that wouldn’t break me out without paying pots of money. Yet the price doesn’t detract from the sublime quality of the product and the prospect that people, with rosacea and troubled skin, might find their own success story in this pot.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 311081517211131/k2311a081/8.1.11