Rolo Hot Chocolate drink mix  » Food  »
  • I think I was the only one here who liked it enough to have it more than once

• by booklover

Because I don’t often drink coffee, I drink hot chocolate a lot. So we’ve been trying different hot chocolate mixes to keep in the kitchen so I can make a hot chocolate at home in the morning.

Since I like Rolo candies…and really, any combination involving caramel and chocolate, I thought that I would try buying a canister of Rolo Hot Chocolate Mix. I always make hot chocolate the same way, so I didn’t bother reading the instructions,

but the way I made it worked:

I put a bit of hot water in the bottom of a medium sized mug, then I added four small spoonfuls of hot chocolate mix. After this, I poured almost boiling water over top of the mix, and then I stirred the hot chocolate mix in. This way, the chocolate mix doesn’t get all lumpy at the top or the bottom. If you can, it’s better if you stir as you are ...

• adding the hot water, that really makes it smoother. The Rolo Hot Chocolate mix didn’t get lumpy although I did add a bit extra mix usually just to make it more chocolate flavoured. It probably would have tasted better if I had used hot milk, but I don’t do that because I boil the water in a kettle. There does usually end up being some mix at the bottom but that doesn’t really affect much although you have
        to rinse out your mug right away.

The Rolo Hot Chocolate tastes very, very sweet. I think I was the only one here who liked it enough to have it more than once. You don’t really get a caramel taste so much as really sweet chocolate. Still, it has a chocolate taste, tastes good hot and okay if it cools a bit (but it tastes bad cold, although I bet it would taste good cold if you used milk).

Hot Chocolate Mixer says :

To get a richer, smoother hot chocolate put your hot chocolate mix in the bottom of the mug and then add a small amount of milk. Proceed to blend the milk and powder together, adding more milk if necessary, to create a slushy mixture in the bottom. Then pour the hot water in, mixing the entire time.

Joanna says :

I tried it like you suggested and I noticed a remarkable difference. Also, I noticed that if you heat the milk first it seems to dissolve better and give a creamier taste even after the water is added. Thanks for the suggestions.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 271081517201131/k2311a081/8.1.11