Doctor Who: Season 2, Episode 14: Doomsday
  • While the action was nice, I found myself enjoying the war of words that proceeded the straight up shoot out
  • I was happy to see that the running gag of the Doctor wearing 3-D glasses actually went somewhere
  • I know, I keep bringing that episode up, but it really could've been a momentous episode in terms of arc, but the writers don't seem to want to acknowledge it as much as they could've
  • It'll be interesting to see how this new companion fares

• by David Finniss

So ends the second season and Billie Piper’s run as Rose Tyler. With an ominous prediction from Satan, I was expecting Rose to die, and the episode really plays up the possibility, with Rose’s voice over confirming it.

“Shockingly”, it turns out that the Beast was lying, or at the very least telling the truth “from a certain point of view”.

With both the Daleks and the Cybermen gunning for Earth, the Doctor clearly has his hands full. On the plus side, the two races don’t seem to like each other and are quick to go to war with each other. While the action was nice, I found myself enjoying the war of words that proceeded the straight up shoot out.

I was happy to see that the running gag of the Doctor wearing 3-D glasses actually went somewhere. It honestly just seemed like a way to make the Doctor seem kooky

just for the sake of kookiness, so seeing that it was an actual plot point was a relief.

With 2 invasions and an interspecies war, you would think that it would be hard to fit character moments into the mix. Luckily, the writers managed to work them in and make them work. The scene that “reunited” Jackie with her former husband had a healthy dose of humor, but also played the idea straight as both see loved ones who have been dead for some time.

The real emotional cue comes at the end as Rose and the Doctor say goodbye for good. Kudos to both Tennant and Piper as they both hit it out of the park. While Rose was a hit or miss character, you still felt for her as she broke down into tears at the concept of never seeing the Doctor again.

Not surprisingly, the Doctor is cut off before he ...

• can tell her how he feels. I was expecting him to finish with “ah, she knows” echoing the sentiment from “The Satan Pit” but his sorrow is cut short by one of the greatest, most bizarre cliffhangers I’ve ever seen. Seriously, look up the clip on YouTube, it’s glorious.

This episode acts as an odd mirror to the previous finale. Where as “The Parting of the Ways” had Rose separating from the incarnation of the Doctor that she was familiar with, this one sees her being the one to depart. I think it works much better this way. While the Doctor regenerated, he was still the Doctor. As far as shaking up the status quo, this feels like it will be a much bigger impact.

I’m glad that the episode actually showed some of the Daleks escaping. We know they’re going to come back, they’re way too good as villains (not to

mention popular) to wipe out for good, so this gives them an easy way for them to return. While we don’t see any such hooks for the Cybermen, they could easily come back as well.

With all the talk of Hell, I was expecting some follow up to “The Satan Pit”, but alas no dice. I know, I keep bringing that episode up, but it really could’ve been a momentous episode in terms of arc, but the writers don’t seem to want to acknowledge it as much as they could’ve.

This episode had pretty much everything that a Doctor Who fan could ask for. It pit two of the show’s biggest enemies against each other (sad that the Cybermen could barely put up a fight, but it’s not all that surprising). It had great character bits, some humor, and a nice segue to the next series. It’ll be interesting to see how this new companion fares.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1031071517010531/k2311a0731/7.31.11